hoppy times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

td9479

Reaction score
Looking to make an West Coast IPA unique. I have already come up with my hop list and am planning on using 8lbs of liquid malt (pale). Using Wyeast
1272. Trying to get the Alcohol to about 7%-8%. Plan on dry hopping during secondary. Any suggestions to ensure the desired alcohol content? Will adding granulated sugar in middle of boil dry out the beer like the west coast style?

Generally, sugar will dry the beer, but it depends on how great the proportion of sugar to malt extract/grains is. A small amount can be beneficial, and can even balance a higher gravity beer (think belgian trappist).

Why exactly are you planning to add sugar? Just to boost the alcohol? If so, perhaps you could consider steeping some carmel malt as a pre-boil "tea" to add some more fermentables that also add flavor. Just my $.02 though.

Also, if you do plan on using granulated sugar, be careful not to let it burn after you add it to the boil. This will definitely ruin the beer.

Back