American Wheat Beer Hoppy Session Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufessor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1318 London Ale III or American Wheat (?)
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 days 65 up to 72
Tasting Notes
Bright, Crisp, Refreshing! If you are looking for all the hops and flavor of an IPA, but all of the lightness and drinkability of a blonde ale or american wheat - this is your beer. Low ABV (3.9-4.1%). Easy, easy drinking. Hop-flavored but not bitter. Definitely a crowd favorite - Might even trick a BMC drinker into enjoying an IPA.
I brew 6.5 gallons to account for loss going from Kettle to fermenter and fermenter to keg - I leave behind trub, hop material, yeast, etc. So, I end up with a full 5 gallons going into the keg at the end. I get about 84% mash efficiency. Adjust grain bill to fit your system, efficiency, etc.

Grain Bill:
I will include % of grain bill and amounts I use for 6.5 gallons.

Shoot for approximately 1.040-1.043 OG
Looking for 3.9-4.1% ABV or so

43% Rahr 2 Row (4 lbs)
43% Rahr White Wheat (4 lbs)
5.5% Flaked Oats (.5lbs)
5.5% Flaked Barley (.5lbs)
2.5% Cara 20 (.25 lbs)

Mash @ 155 for 60 minutes.

** You could probably even simplify this to something as basic as 50/50 2 Row and Wheat or Something like above but even drop the cara 20 altogether. I am sure you could sub in other base malts like pilsner, etc. I will probably play with it some more along the way, but I have brewed it 3 times as above and it is very good as is.

Hops:

30 minutes: 1 ounce Centennial (22 IBU)
Flame out: Start chiller and get wort down to 160 or below - 2 ounces each of Citra/Mosaic
Dry hop: On day 2-3..... 1 ounce each of Citra/Mosaic. Dry hops go in loose and remain until kegged on day 12.

** I would not add more hops, but I would consider going to 1 ounce each at flame out. Or, maybe going 1/2-3/4 ounce centennial at 30. If you want it a bit less hoppy, cut back a bit on first two additions. More hops might make it too harsh for such a low ABV beer though.

Water:

Use 100% RO Water for mash and sparge.
Shoot for around 50/50/50 on Calcium/Chloride/Sulfate

I add .3 grams/gallon gypsum and .3 grams/gallon CaCl to mash and sparge water.
I add .5 ml of Lactic Acid per gallon of mash water
I add .1 ml of Lactic Acid per gallon of sparge water

B'run Water Numbers for me:
Ca: 48
Mg:0
Na:8
Sulfate:45
Chloride:55
Bicarbonate:16
pH:5.30

Water - the simple version:
*Use 100% RO water
*Per 5 gallons of mash water and per 5 gallons of sparge water.
*Use a 1/4 tsp. for measuring.
*Add a heaping 1/4 tsp of both gypsum and CaCl to both mash and sparge.... This is approximately 1.5 grams of both gypsum and CaCl to both mash and sparge.
*Add lactic acid as listed above (or, add 2-3 ounces acidulated malt to grain bill.)
*That will basically get you right in the ball park

Yeast/Fermenation:

I use 1318 on this..... probably not "authentic" wheat beer, but looks, tastes, and works great. I might play around with a kolsch yeast, german ale yeast or american wheat yeast in the future.
I start it around 65 and let it free rise to 68-72.

I add dry hops on day 2-3, loose, and they stay in until I keg on day 12 or so.

Other Notes:

I have brewed this 3 times now and it is really a great beer. Quickly becoming a crowd favorite with the regulars in my basement. I made notes of a couple areas I will likely keep playing with, but this is a great session ale as it is. Going to be even better come summer....
Hoppy Wheat.jpg

Last edited:
This sounds/looks great, and I'm interested in brewing it. However, I'm new to brewing (have done 2 batches so far), and have a question. Since I'd be doing BIAB, what would be a good starting point for water volume in my kettle (I have a 10 gallon)?

Thanks,
Steve

How long are you leaving your whirlpool hops in for? I did something very close to this whirl pooling for 30 minutes and I wound up dumping it far to much bitterness for a small beer.

This sounds/looks great, and I'm interested in brewing it. However, I'm new to brewing (have done 2 batches so far), and have a question. Since I'd be doing BIAB, what would be a good starting point for water volume in my kettle (I have a 10 gallon)?

Thanks,
Steve
How much water do you usually use in a normal 5 gallon batch?

How long are you leaving your whirlpool hops in for? I did something very close to this whirl pooling for 30 minutes and I wound up dumping it far to much bitterness for a small beer.
I start the chiller, at 160 or so I throw in the hops and I just keep right on chilling it..... no real whirlpool/hop stand. I just keep getting it down to 65 as fast as I can.

Honestly, I might go with one ounce each of Citra/mosaic next time I do it to see how I like that. As I said, I think it would not want any more hops. Could also go with 1/2 or 3/4 ounce of Centennial... or even move that to 15 minutes instead of 30.

How much water do you usually use in a normal 5 gallon batch?

My first batch was an extract kit, I,started with about 6.25 gallons and ended up with 5 in tje fermenter. The last batch was Northern Brewers all grain kama citra recipe... I believe I started with just under 7 gallons, and ended up with about 4.5 gallons in the fermenter. I also have a water question. I have access to a spring that has very pure water... the TDS is 10ppm. Can I treat that as RO/distilled water?

I start the chiller, at 160 or so I throw in the hops and I just keep right on chilling it..... no real whirlpool/hop stand. I just keep getting it down to 65 as fast as I can.

Honestly, I might go with one ounce each of Citra/mosaic next time I do it to see how I like that. As I said, I think it would not want any more hops. Could also go with 1/2 or 3/4 ounce of Centennial... or even move that to 15 minutes instead of 30.

Looking at my recipe the grain bill is almost identical but I used 1.5oz of citra/mosaic/galaxy and a smaller battering addition but it was at 60.

Im sure it was my 30 minute whirlpool plus the 10 minutes or so of chilling that did that recipe in.

My first batch was an extract kit, I,started with about 6.25 gallons and ended up with 5 in tje fermenter. The last batch was Northern Brewers all grain kama citra recipe... I believe I started with just under 7 gallons, and ended up with about 4.5 gallons in the fermenter. I also have a water question. I have access to a spring that has very pure water... the TDS is 10ppm. Can I treat that as RO/distilled water?

Ok.... I would do the following.

If the water is TDS 10ppm, you should be good with that water... RO is generally 10-20 TDS.

Start with 7 gallons water
Use a level 1/2 tsp each of CaCl and Gypsum
Put in 2-2.5 ml of Lactic acid, or use 2-3 ounces of Acidulated Malt with grain bill

If you use the weight of grains I listed in recipe, that should maybe account for any difference in efficiency, and it should come in around 1.040 I would think. Could add an extra pound of 2 Row if your efficiency is too low. (or, keep a pound of DME on hand that you can add if you need to).

Ok.... I would do the following.

If the water is TDS 10ppm, you should be good with that water... RO is generally 10-20 TDS.

Start with 7 gallons water
Use a level 1/2 tsp each of CaCl and Gypsum
Put in 2-2.5 ml of Lactic acid, or use 2-3 ounces of Acidulated Malt with grain bill

If you use the weight of grains I listed in recipe, that should maybe account for any difference in efficiency, and it should come in around 1.040 I would think. Could add an extra pound of 2 Row if your efficiency is too low. (or, keep a pound of DME on hand that you can add if you need to).
Thank you!

@Braufessor

Thanks for posting this! It looks really great! I’ve been absolutely loving 1318, want to use it in everything!

Out of curiosity, what other yeasts do you think might go well with it? I was looking to branch out a bit while still going for the fruity esters.

Also, what type of fruit flavors do you get outta this one?

@Braufessor

Thanks for posting this! It looks really great! I’ve been absolutely loving 1318, want to use it in everything!

Out of curiosity, what other yeasts do you think might go well with it? I was looking to branch out a bit while still going for the fruity esters.

Also, what type of fruit flavors do you get outta this one?

The 3 other yeasts that I will likely try out (mainly because they would fit a little more with the "wheat beer" aspect of this) are 1007, 1010 and 2565 all from yeast. Not sure how much they would really do for the fruity esters. 1272 would be another one that might do well in this.

I would say that the fruit flavors as currently brewed - predominantly grapefruit. Some orange. Maybe some passionfruit.

The 3 other yeasts that I will likely try out (mainly because they would fit a little more with the "wheat beer" aspect of this) are 1007, 1010 and 2565 all from yeast. Not sure how much they would really do for the fruity esters. 1272 would be another one that might do well in this.

I would say that the fruit flavors as currently brewed - predominantly grapefruit. Some orange. Maybe some passionfruit.

Thanks for the recipe! I had a session Citra Wheat Saison recently that was great. May try this one with 1318 and 3711.

Edit: Could you use .5 of Golden Naked Oats in place of the C20 and Oats or should it be increased?

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipe! I had a session Citra Wheat Saison recently that was great. May try this one with 1318 and 3711.

Edit: Could you use .5 of Golden Naked Oats in place of the C20 and Oats or should it be increased?

Sure - I don't see why not. Like I said - I wouldn't even be scared to simplify it all the way down to 50/50 2 row and wheat.

I made one quite similar. Added tangerine peel and coriander at 5 minutes left on the boil. My best beer to date.

This was only my 3rd beer, and I strayed from the original recipe a bit, but it came out good. I did 50/50 2 row and wheat, and used 1010 yeast. Definitely would brew again, will make a nice summer beer out on the lake

Attachments

• 20180218_145828.jpg
    20180218_145828.jpg
    998.6 KB · Views: 690
Looks great. I think a lot of people would consider this a Session NEIPA... bet the post traffic would skyrocket if you renamed it.

Two questions
1. Do you notice any color change or hop flavor decrease after a month in the leg?(if it lasts that long)

2. Thoughts on adding hops to the keg? Was thinking like .5 of Citra.

Looks great. I think a lot of people would consider this a Session NEIPA... bet the post traffic would skyrocket if you renamed it.

Two questions
1. Do you notice any color change or hop flavor decrease after a month in the leg?(if it lasts that long)

2. Thoughts on adding hops to the keg? Was thinking like .5 of Citra.

Yeah - it is a basically along the lines of a Session NEIPA..... but I can't keep up with the other NEIPA thread I started - last thing I need is 2 of them like that ;)

I have not had one last a month. But, I think it would be like any other NEIPA in that regard. The better job you do with oxygen ingress, keeping it cold, etc..... the longer it will stay in peak form. But, it is likely going to start dropping off at some point in the 3-5 week range after it is kegged.

I think small keg hopping would be fine. I have not done it, but I know others do it and like the results.

Just started brewing a batch of this. Going with simcoe/amarillo for my hops. Keeping the centennial, will report back in 2 weeks once it's ready. Thanks again for the recipe @Braufessor

Weird. I made one of these myself a few months ago and it’s one of my better wheat beers...

1.056 OG, 1.013 FG, 5.9% ABV

45% Great Western white wheat
45% Crisp Maris Otter
7% Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
3% Weyermann acidulated malt

30 IBU Magnum @ 60, 2:1:1 Citra : Ella : Nelson Sauvin @ hop stand and 4 day dry hop.

Fermented with Hill Farmstead “Society and Solitude” yeast (good substitute for WY1318 / WLP007) to the tune of 120 Cl : 100 SO4 in a keg.

IMG_0158.jpg

So I forgot to report back in 2 weeks but doing it now. So brew day went as planned, however, reusing my yeast from a previous batch did not go as planned. No activity after 48 hours...ended up using windsor yeast and the beer finished at a 1.001.

Very very dry and had an alcoholic taste on the backend, also very clear...around 6% abv. I'll need to rebrew this and pitch something like 1318. The beer wasn't bad, just not what I was going for.

So I forgot to report back in 2 weeks but doing it now. So brew day went as planned, however, reusing my yeast from a previous batch did not go as planned. No activity after 48 hours...ended up using windsor yeast and the beer finished at a 1.001.

Very very dry and had an alcoholic taste on the backend, also very clear...around 6% abv. I'll need to rebrew this and pitch something like 1318. The beer wasn't bad, just not what I was going for.

Wow -- I know it was not what you were going for but that is some serious attenuation! It's a West Coast "Session" Wheat...

That is a bummer it did not turn out. Sounds like something was definitely up with fermentation. 1.001 is extraordinarily low.... my saisons don't even finish that low. Wonder if you did not get some sort of bug in there from the reused yeast that did not take off? Hopefully your next one comes out better for you. The trials and tribulations of brewing...... I have a keg of British Bitter that might have a date with my floor drain in the near future :)

Wow -- I know it was not what you were going for but that is some serious attenuation! It's a West Coast "Session" Wheat...

Yeah I wanted it to be a session too :(

That is a bummer it did not turn out. Sounds like something was definitely up with fermentation. 1.001 is extraordinarily low.... my saisons don't even finish that low. Wonder if you did not get some sort of bug in there from the reused yeast that did not take off? Hopefully your next one comes out better for you. The trials and tribulations of brewing...... I have a keg of British Bitter that might have a date with my floor drain in the near future :)

I hate draining beer...happens to the best of us sometimes! Can't wait to rebrew it....have 2 NEIPAs (derived from your recipe) fermenting right now. Simcoe/Galaxy and Citra/Centennial both 1.075 OG....gonna need a session on tap!
:hops::mug:

Doing this today, 3 gal BIAB batch (3.5 actual to account for the hops) with Centennial, El Dorado, and HBC 431 for aroma, CTZ for bittering. Gonna try a dry kolsch yeast. I'll let y'all know how it goes!

@Braufessor

What led you to go with the Cara 20 malt in this beer rather than the honey malt that you use in your NEIPA?

Just that I was shooting for a brighter, lighter beer and did not want the sweetness that honey malt can bring. I have actually dropped the Cara 20 in my last two batches and just went with 45% 2 Row, 45% Wheat, 5% each flaked barley and flaked oats.

I want the lower gravity and lower hops to really pop and I kind of like the clean grain bill. Not sure that it would make a huge difference either way though.... try it a couple ways and see what you prefer.

Just brewed this up again and pitched some 2565 Kolsch yeast into it. I also took out the Mosaic on this batch and replaced it with Galaxy.

Nice! We can compare notes in a couple weeks. I'm using the Crossmyloof dry kolsch for the first time. No temp control, so fingers crossed.

Brew day went great. Hit the numbers dead on (1.036 pre-boil, 1.043 OG). Sample before yeasting tasted good, maybe a little over-bitter. No way of knowing if it's really too bitter until it's bottled and carbed, though.

Brewed this 3/20 keged 3/31 it was a huge hit at a couples baby shower we hosted Saterday. Used 1272 which has became my new go to. Thanks for the recipe

Brewed this earlier in the week and currently fermenting. I typically cold crash all my beers for about 2-3 days before transferring into the keg and force carbing. Should I wait 12 days before cold crashing or you think it will be OK to cold crash on day 10?

Well, the kolsch yeast took this down to 1.008 pretty dang quick. Still bubbling a little, too. Samples taste great, even with hop particulate floating around.

Giving something inspired by this a go later today. 5lb 2-row, 3lb wheat malt, 8oz flaked barley and flaked oats, 4oz Crystal 15. Same hop bill but will be using cryo hops in the dry hop.

Latest posts

Back