Hoppy Porter Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthwestBrewman2013

Reaction score
Buddy of mine and I recently brewed a Hoppy Porter. Wanted a little critique on the recipe for future batches.

OG- 1.062
Efficency 70%
Pitch Temp 78
Ferm Temp 64 for 5 days, 70 for 2, cold crash
10-gallons

24LBS 2-row
1LBS Chocolate Malt
1LBS Crystal 40
8oz Munich
6oz Black Malt

1oz Perle/1oz Cluster/1oz Columbus @ 60 min
1oz Cluster/1oz Willamette/1oz Columbus @15 min
1oz Cluster/1oz Willamette/1oz Columbus @5 min

I pitched Mangrove Jacks Dark Ale Yeast
He pitched Wyeast 1028

Any critique regarding the recipe would be appreciated. And yes, I have brewed this already and just wanted to get changes that would be good for future batches of this Porter.

Without roasted barley, it’s not really a porter. At least that’s my understanding. I have made a hopped up porter based on a BYO clone from The Kernel brewery in London (“Export India Porter”). Was very popular

Without roasted barley, it’s not really a porter. At least that’s my understanding. I have made a hopped up porter based on a BYO clone from The Kernel brewery in London. Was very popular
Many people believe that roast barley is what differentiates a stout from a porter.

Many people believe that roast barley is what differentiates a stout from a porter.

That’s right, thank you. Stout needs roasted barley whereas porter does not. Yet the lines are relatively blurred between the styles.

That’s right, thank you. Stout needs roasted barley whereas porter does not. Yet the lines are relatively blurred between the styles.
Yes they are. Sub a small amount of r b for chocolate malt and viola you have a stout.

The types of hops and amount of hops do not scream " hoppy " porter ( personal taste and experience ). Hoppy doesn't mean bitter and viceversa. Hoppy implies that the beer will have a big hop presence in both aroma and flavour. My latest Northern German Pils used 5.5 oz hops and next time I will throw in more. A small whirlpool and a small dry hop can help with the hoppy aspect of any beer.

Sort of true for Irish stouts - but not all stouts are Irish. London stouts generally stuck more closely to the traditional recipe without roast barley.

Personally I'm a fan of the classic mid-19th century porter recipes - something like pale malt, 10-15% brown malt, 2-3% black malt, to an OG of 1.055-1.060. Ideally age some and blend it with fresh beer 1:2.

Back