Hoppy Blue Moon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knapptime

Reaction score
So SWMBO wanted a blue moon clone. So as I must obey, it is going to be my next brew. However I wanted it to be very hoppy and much more bitter than blue moon and she also wanted very prominent orange aroma and flavor. I am new to brewing. So my question is does this recipe sound like it will end up the way both SWMBO and I woul like it to?

Hoppy Blue Moon

Style: Witbier OG: 1.052
Type: Partial Mash FG: 1.013
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.11 %
Calories: 170 IBU's: 58.35
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.57 Gal
Color:*** 4.9 SRM** Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.049 Boil Time: 60 minutes
Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 14 days @ 65.0°F
Bottle/Keg 7 days @ 65.0°F
Secondary 7 days @ 65.0°F
Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
3.30 lbs 46.81 % Briess Pilsen Light LME 90 mins 1.038
2.00 lbs 28.37 % Briess Wheat DME 15 mins 1.043
6.00 ozs 5.32 % Briess Caramel 30L 90 mins 1.034
16.00 ozs 14.18 % Cane (Beet) Sugar 15 mins 1.046
6.00 ozs 5.32 % Briess Borlander Munich Malt 90 mins 1.035
Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.75 ozs 15.62 Mt. Hood 60 mins 6.00
1.00 ozs 34.70 Chinook 30 mins 13.00
0.50 ozs 3.46 Cascade 10 mins 5.50
0.50 ozs 4.57 Citra 5 mins 13.20
0.50 ozs Citra 7 days 13.20
0.50 ozs Cascade 7 days 5.50
Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05
Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
0.50 oz Orange Peel 10 mins Boil
0.50 oz Coriander Seed 10 mins Boil
1.00 oz Oranges 07 days Secondary

There is a good blue moon recipe (both extract and AG) by Nilo floating around on the recipes page. I don't know if you looked at it first, but it might give some insights.

I'm not sure I'd put extra sugar into a wit style recipe. Blue Moon isn't a dry beer, and that much sugar will dry it out quite a bit.
I'd add some oats. Boil them in a bag, for the last 15 minutes, and you'll see a big increase in the mouth-feel. It's a small thing, but that creamy texture is a big part of the blue moon appeal.

I would push the OG up a tad. Might not be noticeable if you're putting some oats in.

The Hops look good for what you're trying to do. A hoppy blue moon should use a lot of "citrusy" hops. 158 IBUs seems right, it's high, but not a crazy bitterness.

Yeast looks like the perfect choice.

If you're going to dry-hop with orange peels, you might use some fresh-orange zest instead. Soak them in some vodka to sanitize.

Let us know what you do, and how it goes.

I'm going to disagree here... If SWMBO asked for a Blue Moon clone, well, Blue Moon just isn't hoppy. At all. I think if you were to make a hoppy blue moon, you'd likely make something she'd not be pleased with, though you're obviously going to have a better idea of her tastes than I will, so you've gotta go with your gut on this. But just make sure you ask yourself, before you do it - does she like hoppy beers?

Ibu's is actually 58 not 158. I cut it down from about 79 because I was trying to keep that blue mooning flavor. I have wheat flakes. So I will defiantly add those in towards the end. SWMBO does enjoy a hoppy beer and I'm trying to expand her palate. If I were to cut down the ibu's which hops variety would I take out?

I'm going to disagree here... If SWMBO asked for a Blue Moon clone, well, Blue Moon just isn't hoppy. At all. I think if you were to make a hoppy blue moon, you'd likely make something she'd not be pleased with, though you're obviously going to have a better idea of her tastes than I will, so you've gotta go with your gut on this. But just make sure you ask yourself, before you do it - does she like hoppy beers?

Yeah giving the SWMBO a Wheat IPA when she asked for a Blue Moon probably isn't going to go over well. But I guess if your goal is to never get her to drink your beer this is a good plan.

i'd drop your IBUs way down, like to 20-30, 58 is way too high if she wants something like a wit. personally i'd go with the hopbursting technique (all adds 20mins or less, see here for more info: http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php ) for this to keep the bitterness low and give good hop flavor/aroma. definitely get rid of the chinook too. cascade & citra should be a good combo for what you're after, but summit (sometimes ppl get onion/garlic, i get tangerine) & some of the NZ hops like pacifica are more orange if you really wanna push that.

i'd also swap that yeast to WLP400 or similar, S-05 isn't appropriate for a wit (even one as mild as blue moon). you also need way more wheat as well, as is this is only like 20% (briess wheat extract is only 65%)

So the Grains and extracts are set because she bought the kit and that is what came in it. Also I like the idea of the late hopping. Should I shift all the hops till the last minute or keep the mt hood at a full boil and add the cascade & citra in the last 20 minutes. And you are right I just threw the chinook in there because I had them.

Chinook is out

.5 oz cascade 20 min
.5 oz citra 10 min

Knocked my IBU to like 29.7

Sound right?

wow, can't believe they only put in that much wheat. i'd do this (should be about 20 IBUs if you add your sugar & LME at flameout)
0.75oz mt hood @15
0.5oz cascade @10
0.5oz citra @5
0.5oz cascade @Dry hop
0.5oz citra @dry hop

if you wanna save time, you can cut that down to a 30min boil with this schedule, you don't need the full 60mins with extract

Here's a recipe i use as a staple. I drink this almost every night. very close to a Blue Moon. wife loves it, and I get rave reviews at parties. If you filter it through a nylon stocking into a keg, the beer will set up nice clean and clear

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WPL-400 Belgian
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 11
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 13
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14@65dg
Tasting Notes: Nice smooth, Creamy head, easy to drink, summer beer

Ingredients:
9 Lbs 2 row
2 lbs Vienna
11 Lbs White Wheat
1/2 Lb Flaked Barley
1oz Cascade 5.5% @60 min
1oz Cascade 5.5% @ 10 Min
8-10 Fresh oranges any type

Mash in 1.25 qts per pound of grain. 60 minutes at 151DG. Recirculate until wort runs clear. fly sparge for 30 minutes. boil 60 minutes adding hops at intervals as noted.
prepare oranges by slicing and scooping out the insides. Use a potato peeler to remove as much skin as possible. boil 1 qt water. cool to 180dg, add oranges, peel, and juice. prepare a hop bag. add orange pieces, and peel. Pour all this into the fermenter. Ferment for 14 days. the WPL-400 will produce a very active fermentation

Latest posts

Back