Hopping it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozennorth

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have brewed on again, off again for years, but now I have the bug. Brewing a double IPA this weekend and wanted to ask about my hops additions. I will be using 3 oz Magnum at 90, 2 oz Millennium at 30, 2 oz Columbus and 2oz Citra at the end of the boil, then dry hopping on 4 oz Mosaic. Is this to much? Or, am I in for a treat?

14 oz on the boil and dry hopping with another 4 oz? Is this a 5 gallon batch size?

Seems a lot of hops for 5g.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ah actually it is 9oz in the boil. Still quite a lot thiugh

3 oz at 90 is probably too much. I read a good article in Zymurgy about "hop bursting". Basically, if you use a ton of late addition hops you don't need the full boil addition. Even if you're going traditional bittering, flavor, aroma 90 minutes is too long for hops at a full boil. You risk extracting chlorophyll for that lovely fresh cut grass flavor. At a minimum, I'd shorten your first addition to :60 and maybe cut it down some. The IBU contribution of late hops is tough to calculate, but it is significant...

This is a tweaked Hop Father clone, but I fear you may be correct. Thank you for the help! I shall tweak it a bit more and shorten the addition times and amounts.

Ok, here is what I have come up with, please tell me what you think. 1 oz magnum at 60, 1.5 oz millennium at 30 min, and 1.5 oz of citra and Columbus at the end of boil. With a secondary dry hop of 1 oz each of Columbus, mosaic, millennium, and citra.

This actually seems light for me if you are going for something super hoppy. Move the 30 to 15 minutes. I take it from firestone walker who say that 95% of their IBUs are POST boil. In my case, 75% of my "boil" additions come at or after flameout for a hop monster. I also dry hop 1-2 oz PER GALLON. Again, this is for something over the top but I usually get commercial level hoppiness compared to the best examples.

It took a sneak today to do a hydrometer check and it tastes great, but... I still have a bit to go and it is cloudy. I think that I will let it sit for a week or two longer. Dang that is some hoppy stuff! I am like a kid waiting for an ice cream cone, but I shall be patient.

I ended up adding the majority of the hops at flame out, 2 oz of citra and 2 oz of mosaic. I will dry hop 4 oz of mosaic and 1 oz of cita. Excited!!!

That is great to know. Would 2 oz of mosaic and citra, with have oz each of Columbus and millennium be better? Just going with what I have on hand.

Back