Hopefully I didn't ruin my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratstud00

Reaction score
So long story short, I brewed a Hefeweizen on Saturday, will post recipe if it becomes relevant. Yeast packet says 60-75F for fermentation. Stuck it in my fermentation chamber (old kegerator with temp control), set for 65F. Monday I noticed that I forgot to put the temp control probe in the fridge, so interior temp has been high 40's for 3 days. Took the beer out immediately to warm up.

Is there any reason to suspect that fermentation won't start once the beer warms up? Or did I kill my yeast?

You keep your yeast in the refrigerator before you use it, right? All you might have done is put the little yeasties to sleep for a while, let your wort warm up to the "proper" fermentation temperature, and they should take off just fine. There might be a little lag as they wake up and get moving, but you should be good. RDWHAHB! :mug:

shouldn't have killed them. Cold will only kill them if the water in or around them freeze and shove little ice daggers through their cell walls. They went dormant though. Let it warm up and see what happens. You could take a sample and test the sg to see if they had started working on your wort.

They had a short nap, now they will wake up to a huge feast. Kinda like thanksgiving!

Thanks guys! Update, after about 30 mins out of the fridge, I'm already seeing bubbles in the airlock! Hopefully no off flavor a result. Thanks for the advice

No worries. You won't get off flavors from keepibg them too cold for a bit.
If you kept them in the 80's we might be having a different conversation but you are good to go.

Latest posts

Back