Hope I didn't mess up my first batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idkhood

Reaction score
I had just found this website! AWESOME SITE!

Here is my problem...

First, I am making an BB English Brown Ale. The cooking and cooling was not a problem, but then I think I added to much water to the wort when putting it in the fermentor. The OG is suppose to be 1.045-1.049 but mine was 1.032. The sink had a major leak and I wasn't thinking when I was cleaning everything up. Then, I put it down stairs in what I thought was a warm room, but the temp on the fermentor said 54 deg. I then moved it upstairs and got the temp back up to around 68 deg. It has been a week now and within that week I did notice it fermenting.

Can anyone tell me if I need to do anything differently or what to expect?

I did take a reading tonight and it read 1.006 (Suppose to be 1.011-1.015)!

Do I transfer it to a secondary fermentor as the directions say?

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Whenever you have a problem brew just chalk it up to learning. You will make beer and for the first batch that's all you want to do. You have already learned some things for your next brew.

Transfer after 2 weeks if you want too. 213. 2 week primary. 1 week secondary. 3 week curbing.

Or

33. No secondary. Does not make a big difference.

Your readings COULD be I error. If its a extract kit no problems unless you have an extra gallon of water in the batch.

Your 1.032 gravity reading is most likely not accurate. If you added top-up water and didn't mix well, you measured the diluted top portion and not the thicker bottom portion.

Thanks for the help! definitely chalking it up as learning. Still excited for the next!

Back