HopBurst Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dformed

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to build a mash tun and start doing all-grain, but I recently found a 15-minute pale ale recipe, brewed it, and was impressed. Best part: successfully made Beer in 2 hours FLAT... and then made a bigger red ale.

The short boil worked because of a technique called Hop Bursting. It sounds like this could be a great way to squeeze a second quick beer into the gaps of a full brew day, but I'd rather get a little more variety than just pale ales. found this article <http://www.brewersfriend.com/2012/08/25/15-minute-boil-tested/> which says Hop Bursting may work for "... Cream Ale, Scottish Light, Porter, Standard Bitter, English Mild, [or] Fruit Beer."

I just did a little research and worked up this Cream Ale recipe (it is apparently "within style" by the numbers). Look like it'll work? any feedback? ideas?

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 17.04 (Rager, apparently more accurate for HopBurst)
Boiling Time (Minutes): 15
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 at 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 at 68

HopBurst Cream Ale

Fermentables
7 lbs Liquid Pale Malt Extract
12 oz Ashbourne Mild
4 oz Vienna
4 oz Crystal 20

Hops
1.5 oz Centennial @ 15min.
1/2 oz Cascade @ 1 min.

I'm not married to the hop varieties - I haven't had a lot of experience with different hops and these are some I've liked that seem to fit the bill for bittering and aroma (relatively mild and citrus-y).

This is the first recipe I've put together, and is based in large part on research rather than experience. I figure I might as well experiment and come out with a weird beer instead of getting bored following recipes until I've "mastered" the art. Lemme know what you think! I'd love to make this (or a modified version) on my next brew day!

Corn is fundamental to the Cream Ale style. And that almost automatically pushes you into a partial mash (unless you use Williams American Lager extract, which is 75% pale barley malt and 25% corn). So taking your recipe as a starting point:

Light LME 5.5 lbs. (add with 15 minutes remaining in the boil)
Pale two-row 12 oz.
Ashburne Mild 12 oz.
Flaked corn 2 lbs.
C20L 4 oz.

Also, you probably want some genuine bittering hops. So again, taking your hop schedule as a starting point (and stealing from Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde):

Centennial, 0.25 oz., 60 min.
Centennial, 0.5 oz., 20 min.
Cascade, 0.5 oz., 10 min.
Cascade, 0.5 oz., 5 min.

This would give you OG 1055, FG 1011, SRM 5, IBU 18.

You don't, of course, have to do any of this. What you have looks like a fine blonde ale (I would still shoot for a longer boil for bittering hops).

Since I'm going for a 15-minute boil here - so I can brew a small beer while a larger one is mashing - a partial mash would defeat my purpose. Unfortunately, it looks like a Cream Ale isn't going to work for this project! I'll do some more research, talk to my LHBS, and see if I can come up with some other possile styles. Thanks for your input!

(not sure why the other recipes I looked at didn't include corn, but I'm a strong believer in fundamentals...)

If what you really want is a fifteen-minute start-to-finish wort, you could go with a can Hopped Malt Extract kit. Something like:

Munton's Canadian Ale Malt Kit
2.2 lbs. of Williams American Lager Extract.
0.5 oz. each of Cascade and Centennial, boiled for five minutes

part of the problem is the supply at my LHBS. if I could get that Lager extract, I'd use it and double the hops so I'd still get some effect in a short boil. I don't really like the idea of using a hopped extract kit, but I'd consider it if it would yield an acceptable bittering in a relatively cost-effective way. However, the fact remains that I have no way to get the corn into the equation. Fortunately, with two beers bottle-conditioning and a tun yet to be made, I have time to work this out. If it comes to it, there's a lot of room for inprovisation in the 15-minute pale ale recipe I used - the thread has about 30 pages of variations - so I shouldn't get bored of that one.

Back