Hop to pair with galaxy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I want to make an IPA with the 4 ounces of galaxy hops that I have but I want to use atleast 1 oz of citra, centennial, cascade, simco, amarillo or warrior. Any thoughts suggestions or advice?

I made an awesome APA with Magnum/Cent as bittering, Cascade/Cent for flavor/aroma and dry hopped with Galaxy.

Edit: I just noticed you were from Kansas! The beer I made was an attempt at Tallgrass' 8 Bit Pale. It wasn't quite the same but it was definitely good. I miss Tallgrass!

The citra, for sure. And I would think about 1/4 citra/galaxy would be about right, since citra is much more pungent and too much would overwhelm the galaxy. They both are very fruity so they will work well together. Just make sure that your beer attenuates well or you have fair bitterness or it will taste like you're drinking juicyfruit

I just did a Pale Ale using Centennial, Amarillo and Galaxy. Hydro sample tastes great, can't wait for it to carb up.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If you can get your hands on a Kona Big Wave, which is awsome, it's hopped with galaxy and citra. Personally I'd like to try a galaxy, colombus dry hopped combo.

i did an IPA with galaxy and simcoe on the 15, 5, 0 mark and magnum for the bittering. then dry hopped with cascade. turned out so good. perfect for my tastes. citrus, piney flavor. tropical and floral aroma.

Citra, Simcoe or Amarillo would all be good. Galaxy is exceptionally peachy to me, so anything tropical, juicy or orange would go nicely in my opinion.

i did an IPA with galaxy and simcoe on the 15, 5, 0 mark and magnum for the bittering. then dry hopped with cascade. turned out so good. perfect for my tastes. citrus, piney flavor. tropical and floral aroma.

My last IPA was basically the same thing except I dry hopped with half galaxy half simcoe. It turned out fantastic.

I've done citra/galaxy 50/50. Continuous hopping of 3 oz each from 15 minutes to flameout, and dry hop 1 oz each for 4 days. Turned out amazing.

I've done citra/galaxy 50/50. Continuous hopping of 3 oz each from 15 minutes to flameout, and dry hop 1 oz each for 4 days. Turned out amazing.

Citra and galaxy were meant to be. Otherwise, I'd recommend some of the better NZ hops, Wakatu, pacifica, mouteka, etc.

I just did a citra galaxy IIPA last saturday. 8 ounces of each. It tasted like peaches and mango juice... can't wait for it to be finished.

Just did an XPA that used Mosaic and Galaxy in boil/hop stand and dry hopped with an ounce each of Amarillo and Citra. Galaxy overwhelmed the hell out of the other hops, but after 3 weeks of cold conditioning in the keg, it's insanely fruity and dank: ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397778757.411633.jpg

If you want the recipe, shoot me a pm

Beer Instagram: @mr****ella

I think galaxy is probably best on its own. I've made ipa's with galaxy/citra /centennial and galaxy/Amarillo and galaxy on its own. I find that with the Combo IPAs the only distinguishable hop flavor/aroma I can pick up is galaxy. It is definitely a dominant hop!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think galaxy is probably best on its own. I've made ipa's with galaxy/citra /centennial and galaxy/Amarillo and galaxy on its own. I find that with the Combo IPAs the only distinguishable hop flavor/aroma I can pick up is galaxy. It is definitely a dominant hop!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Agreed...my galaxy IIPA was a fantastic brew.

I see that you already brewed. Cheers. I hope it comes out great. I agree that Galaxy is a great solo hop. I've paired it with Citra, Simcoe, and Centennial. None of those was as good as when I paired with Willamette. I know it sounds crazy, it's not a trendy new hop, but it is a great pairing. The floral earthy character of the Willamette goes so well of the slight citrus and tropical fruit of the Galaxy. Good luck with the beer.

Latest posts

Back