Hop timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeerin

Reaction score
Wassup guys! Im relatively new to the forum thought someone could help me out with this...😊
What would be the result in dumping in bittering hops at 60 min for a certain IBU and dumping in the bittering hops at knockout ( 10 min ) for the same calculated IBU ?

would use a boatload more hops + end up with a boatload more hop flavor & aroma

just checked my last batch, Jamil's Maibock. ½oz Magnum (14%) at 60 mins = 26.8 IBU

knock it down to 10 minutes = 9.7 IBU

to get 26.8 IBU with Magnum at 10 minutes, I would need 1.38 oz

Basic hop timing...
First additions = high bitters, high IBU's, but little flavor/aroma.
Later additions = less bitter, less IBU's, but really good flavor/aroma.
You (usually) do a hop schedule of like 60, 20, 15, 5. It balances bitter and flavor.

Here's the monkey wrench...
First wort hops (FWH) = Less apparent bitters, but higher IBU's. It's more of a mellow bittering. It's when you add hops before it comes to a boil.
Combine FWH with:
Hop Bursting = very little or no early additions, and increased late additions.
Or:
Hop steeping = Adding hops at flame-out, or as the wort begins to cool.

Thanks acidrain

Ive brewed beer at 60 min for the bitterness and at knockout for the aroma.
If i wanted to brew a beer with only adding hops at knockout ie at arnd 10 min??
Eg. Adding 4 gms of hops for certain ibu at 60 min or adding 10 gms at 10 min for the same amnt of ibu?
How much of a diff wld jt make to the bitterness and aroma??

For IBU's, it's easier to make a recipe in Beersmith (or similar). You need a certain amount of bitter balance with a certain amount of aroma.
I wouldn't suggest taking all your 60 minute additions, calculating an equal IBU and just doing all 10 minute additions.
Stick to a recipe. Make notes of flavor. Adjust as needed next time.

In the book "The Home Brewer's answer book", he recommends to get 80% of the bitterness from the first addition (60min), 15% from the second addition (midway through the boil) and the last 5% late in the boil.

In the book "The Home Brewer's answer book", he recommends to get 80% of the bitterness from the first addition (60min), 15% from the second addition (midway through the boil) and the last 5% late in the boil.

That must be based on IBU's.
It's really hard to calculate IBU's without a spread sheet or brewing calculator.
Also, the flameout additions have virtually no IBU's, so how is that calculated?

It's really hard to calculate IBU's without a spread sheet or brewing calculator.
Also, the flameout additions have virtually no IBU's, so how is that calculated?

flameout additions add virtually no IBU, only some flavor and aroma

Correct. I use Beersmith to play around with how much (and when) IBUs are added and adjust accordingly. Hopville is a free online program that works well.

Back