Hop Tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehouse

Reaction score
I just got through making a batch from a recipe of mine. It is supposed to be a pretty big English Brown ale. After I was done (doh!), I ran the ingredients through a recipe spreadsheet (http://brewery.org/) and what I made was a seriously underhopped Brown. OG of 56 with barely 15 IBU (1/2oz nugget (bittering) and 1/2oz Willamete aroma). I understand that Browns are malty, but I would like to kickup the IBUs by adding some hop tea when I rack to my secondary. My question is: I don't want to get a lot of hop aroma as this will be a Brown and I don't want to make it into another style. Could I achieve this by boiling my hop tea longer? Say 15 minutes or longer and do I do it in water or maybe a little wort? Thanks.

You'll have to boil 1 oz of hops in 1 gal of water for 60 mins.

You'll get a lot of evaporation, but that's OK.

One batch I made took 3 cups of tea to balance it, but I saved it.

Add a cup at a time, stir, then let sit for a few minutes to blend in. Sample.

Add more if needed. It'll be about right when you want to take a second sample of the same mix. Don't overdo it.

Hmmm...A gallon with 1 oz boiled down over 60 minutes. Then add a couple of cups to the beer. I think I understand. I guess I discard what wasn't needed?...

Latest posts

Back