Hop Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thasnazzle

Reaction score
I'm making an IPA and all three of the hops I use are out of stock at my LHBS. What should I substitute?

Here's the hop bill:

Belma
2.5 oz

FWH
Cascade
1 oz

Belma
1 oz

Citra
1 oz

Belma
1 oz

Dry Hop (4 days)
Cascade
1 oz

Dry Hop (4 days)
Citra
1 oz

Dry Hop (4 days)

Target is 70 calculated IBUs. I was thinking Galaxy for the Belma, Nelson Sauvin for the Citra, and Amarillo for the Cascade. Thoughts?

It wont be the same, but those 3 you listed are 3 of my favorites, Id say go for it. I would consider adding more hops toward the end of the boil, 20min and under, for a little extra flavor, not that you asked my opinion on it :)

There really isn't a substitute for citra or belma. You could perhaps use centennial in place of cascade. And maybe you could get away with saaz or galaxy for the belma. But really you might be stuck on this one.

sfgoat said:
There really isn't a substitute for citra or belma. You could perhaps use centennial in place of cascade. And maybe you could get away with saaz or galaxy for the belma. But really you might be stuck on this one.

Thanks. I guess I should have phrased this differently - I know it won't be the same, but I'm interested in making something in the same ballpark. What I liked about the original recipe was that we had three hops that were very fruit-forward but with three different fruit flavors. The end result was sweet but not cloyingly so, and had a complex hop profile.

To that end, I'm trying to remember - how fruity is centennial? IIRC it's kind of lemony and a little spicy, right? Might be great for cascade in that if like about that amount of that flavor in the beer. And I'm guessing Galaxy/Sauvin will have the tropical fruits of the Belma and Citra covered (though not to the same extent). Is there something that will get me the grapefruitiness of Cascade?

Sauvin is great and centennial is a great subb. I think centennial would sub good for citra, not the same but a great powerhop. Summit if you like tangerine.And have the right summit type.
I like what you chose I would go with that too. From what I remember centennial is grapefruity but I could be wrong.Im pretty shure though. There are a few hops that are really grapefruity. And I remember two hearted ale being grapefruity which uses all or alot of centennial. It could be that citra has a ton of grapefruit, cant remember though exactly, which I know you cant get.
Shure, by subbing hops you wont have the same beer but you will get to know different hops more.

I was watching a video on Vinny from Russian River brewing- describing using amarillo as a bittering hop as harsh and not good but its great flavor aroma. Also he was saying that adding too much amarillo and it gets diesely or gassy. Just some notes. That said there are hops more suitable for bittering,flavoring,aroma. All in all at the end of the day its really up to you decide which works better. Ive found that the descriptions of hops are at times nothing like they are described pretty often.So I just go with my own experience with each hop. They also vary sesonably and how they are stored can be questionable. Like my lhbs, they refrigerate them in a little fridge and they also have alot just sitting back on a storage shelf,and they have a questionable turn over rate.

Latest posts

Back