Hop Stand, when to put hops in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper5000

Reaction score
Hey,

Been thinking about doing some hop stands on my IPA's and other beers. Just have a question about the technique.

Do you throw in the hops that you intend to HS with at flame out and then cool it down to the HS temp, or do you throw them in once you reach the temp you are going to hop stand at? Thanks

Just out of curiosity, do folks turn their burners on to try and hold it around 180°, or just chill to 180° and then let it air cool?

I've always done the latter, but I find I lose 15-20° even with just a fifteen minute stand, which seems non-ideal for getting a good cold break.

I'll turn the burner off and let it cool to around 180, in the meantime I pull my hop spider and dump out the boil hops. When I get close to my target temp I'll Put the hop spider back in and dump the hops in then let it steep with occasional stirring for about 30 min. I'll prob lose 20 deg in that 30 min but I love the results so I hopstand every ipa and apa's I do.

I base my hopstands on this article https://byo.com/component/k2/item/2808-hop-stands

I end up cooling it down and then adding hops. I personally like either the 160-170 range or the 140-150 range, which I mostly go for. The later I then let sit for 60-80minutes at that temperature, usually just under 150. At times I stir and add some heat to keep it there.

This way you get a lot of flavor from the hops and different aromas too. I use the low temp and long time to get the most out of them. Love this technique so much that I often do not dryhop anymore, cause this gives me more from the hops. While it does give good aroma it is of course less than dryhopping, but it gives a lot of flavor and it seems to degrade way slower than dryhopping.

Cool to 175, add hops, stir, place lid on and leave for 30 minutes. Temp usually only drops about 10 degrees, and this is with a partial boil.

Back