Hop spider woes solved! In stainless!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found Home Depot and Lowes to carry SS rods. From there I took a hack saw to cut them down to the right size

Thanks I will check those places to see if they have something that will work :mug:

Finally have all the pieces, except for a hose clamp.

I don't have a drill press or vice...here's my simple method to make a hop spider:

20161030_144852.jpg

Vice grips and a wood dowel make it easy. Took 15 mins start to finish.

20161030_192734.jpg

No more hop problems :mug:

So I tested my spider out last night...
about 45mins into the boil I accumulated a lot of hop debris in the paint strainer bag (as expected) but it blocked the bag from releasing wort...
Long story short, the bagged slipped off the spider and released lots of hop pellets into the wort

Has anyone had a problem with the bag holding too much wort back? I'm wondering how much wort the hops are actually in contact with if they are suspended in the bag like this :confused:

In action:

20161102_192420.jpg

I am going to sew my own bag for the spider so that there is more room for the hops to move around

Stever, try flipping the hop spider upside down - clamp the bag on the outside and hang it through the inside. Clamp sets below the lip of the flange. I've never had the bag come loose that way.

Stever, try flipping the hop spider upside down - clamp the bag on the outside and hang it through the inside. Clamp sets below the lip of the flange. I've never had the bag come loose that way.

I don't think I can clamp it near the flange due to clearance for the nuts
But I will clamp it on the outside and hang it through the inside - that definitely makes more sense!

So the hop spider itself works well, but the bags (paint strainer and voile bag) do not work. They get clogged and hold in the wort preventing it from draining freely...

20161122_130509.jpg

For reference, that pot is 16" across and I have 1oz of leaf and 1 oz of pellets in the bag, the rest is junk

Does anyone else have this problem? What can I do??:confused:

First off I want to thank the OP as I built one from his idea and it's been great.
I leave the slip ring on the flange and this keeps the bag from slipping off when I clamp the bag on
The paint strainer bags I bought at ACE (3 pack?)and mine don't plug/ clog like that but certainly keep the hop particles out.
I was concerned that the pellet hops wouldn't get wet enough but that never seems to be an issue, to keep it from floating I throw a couple of 3/4" SS nuts in the bag, I also use these in socks for dry hopping.
I also give it a stir/scrape down during the boil, not sure why but I do

Its worth mentioning if anyone is going to make this with the sink drain fitting, if you have a local re-store (recycled building supplies) bring a magnet and dig through the pluming stuff. I just put together a hop spider for $4 total. $1 for the ss sink fitting, and $3 for 3 stainless 8" lags, washers, nuts.

Back