hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philc

Reaction score
I brewed an apa yesterday and I have a question.

the hop schedule was
1 0z 1 min
1 oz 5 min
1 oz 10 min
1 oz 15 min
1 oz 60 min

theoretically, what would happen if I did this backward and added the hops at the beginning. Would it have an intense hop flavor...too much?

5 gallon batch. 6 lbs dme, soaked specialty grains for an hour before boiling.

The longer you boil the hops, the more bittering you get out of them. You also get less hop flavor and aroma. You'd end up with a bitter beer without much hop flavor.

Hop additions are added as then clock counts down.

So what you listed should have---

the 60 min addition at the start of the boil
another ounce when the timer reaches 15
another ounce when the timer reaches 10
another ounce when the timer reaches 5
another ounce when the timer reaches 1
boil until the timer goes off 1 minute later ...flame out.

If you did it in reverse you would have added 4 oz of hops in the first 15 minutes of the boil and it would be wicked bitter.

The longer hops are boiled the more bitterness they add.

The longer the hops are boiled the more they add bitterness but e flavor and aroma gets boiled off. So if you added 4 oz of hops in the first 15 minutes most of the flavor and aroma would be boiled off.

You would get aroma from the last addition. So you would end up with a lot of bitterness and a little aroma.

This is pretty simplisitc but a good general idea of how hop additions work
Longer boil = bitterness but little to no flavor or aroma
10-20 minute boil time = flavor, minor bitterness addition
0-10 minutes boil time= aroma, slight flavor and no bitterness addition.

thanks. well you learn from every batch. this one's f**ked

It might not be f***ed.

It might not have a lot of hop flavor or aroma, but go ahead and see it through the process and bottle it up. It may take some time to mellow a little but you may find you like it. It might be what you planned but.......you never know.

Don't give up on it yet.

Maybe add some extra dry hop for aroma.

good call. hopefully the first wort hop will impart a lot of flavor too. i just checked on it. needed to install a blow off because its fermenting like nuts. Also, it REAKS of hops...practically the whole floor smells like hops. hopefully that is a good sign.

Unless this was a single-hop recipe, what might make this whole reversed-sequence thing even more interesting is knowing what kind of hops were used.

Eg: my house IPA uses Chinook at 60, Cascade at 15, Centennial at 7, Amarillo at FO and Citra for dry hopping at secondary and in the serving keg (if your mouth isn't watering right now, you're dead inside ;) )

Turn that whole thing around and you'd have...a cat-pissy hot mess, I believe! :drunk:

Cheers!

it was all citra. i agree, if it were different hops that would certainly mess things up

the apa turned out delicious. very juicy up front and bitter at the end but the aroma reeks of grapefruit and citra hops. At 5 percent, I could drink this beer all day. What i ended up doing was leaving it in secondary for a month and the bitterness is very mellowed out from what it was tasting like earlier. This beer is absolutley delicious and I think I might brew the same thing again maybe with a few tweaks but keeping the same hop schedule. Soooo good

the apa turned out delicious. very juicy up front and bitter at the end but the aroma reeks of grapefruit and citra hops. At 5 percent, I could drink this beer all day. What i ended up doing was leaving it in secondary for a month and the bitterness is very mellowed out from what it was tasting like earlier. This beer is absolutley delicious and I think I might brew the same thing again maybe with a few tweaks but keeping the same hop schedule. Soooo good

Good to hear. That is why we told you to ride it out. You never know if a mistake will turn out OK. It is probably a lot different than planned but who cares, all that matters is that you like it.

Back