Hop schedule advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bricks41

Reaction score
I'm going to brew something between a DIPA and a Barleywine (it would be a Barleywine if my efficiency didn't suck so bad). I have a selection of 5 hops (4 oz each) I'm in need of some advice/suggestions... Grain bill is 15# pale, 4# Vienna, 1# c20, 1# c40, 1# flaked barley with WLP001.

Apollo - 18% aa
Bravo - 15.1% aa
Brawling Cross - 7.4% aa
Galena - 11% aa
Summit - 15.9% aa

Currently thinking about the following schedule:
2 oz Bravo @ 60 min
1 oz Summit @ 5 min
1 oz Bramling Cross @ 5 min
1 oz Galena @ 5 min

Perhaps dry hop?

Looking for a nice complexity - more citrusy than earthy spice. Thanks for the time!

Use Apollo or Summit late if you want citrus. Both allegedly pack some dankness along with their citrus, although I didn't get that when I used Apollo, and have no experience brewing with Summit. Mixing in some Galena would help with the complexity. I think you need a lot more late hops if you want a DIPA or American-style barleywine. What size batch is this? What are your projected gravities?

With my eff only around 1.087 for 5.5G. If I pull a rabbit out of my hat, 1.105+-. I mash low and usually have good attenuation < 1.020.

With the schedule above - projected to be around 106 ibu. Dont have recipe on front of me.

What I would do, and feel free to ignore any or all of this: If your gravity is around 87, move 1oz of Bravo to 20 min or FWH. If you pull the rabbit, then use all 2oz at 60. I'd use all 12oz of Galena/Summit/Apollo as flavor/aroma/dry hops, with maybe another 1-2oz of Bravo thrown in. I used 8.5oz of late hops on a 2.5 gallon, 1.075 DIPA, so don't worry about it being too much, especially with all that crystal in your recipe. Bramling Cross is a nice hop, but probably wasted/overwhelmed here. Use it in an English IPA or ESB and you'll be happy with the results.

Thanks! I'd be hesistant to toss 12-14 oz of hop into aroma/dry, but we'll see and I'll adjust a bit further. Crystal in total is 11% of current bill which is within reason for the most part. The 2 lbs of C are in a separate bag so I still have an option to modify it's usage! Perhaps halve the crystal and bolster with some sugar? On the low end, I think I'd see 1.016-1.020 FG.

This isn't useful or scientific, but I've got to say I love Apollo hops -- or at least the one or two brews I made using them. It'd be a shame to leave them out!

Just a side comment - might be tough getting to 1.020 with 2lbs of crystal.

@pila - point taken! :mug:
@Ty - while on the high-ish side, I've been able to get to 1.015+- with about the same amount of crystal (one recipe had 28-30 oz), but am not opposed to cutting the crystal bag in half (2# down to 1#) and use an additional # of Pale Malt.

Back