Hop Rocket/Randalizer tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnduthie

Reaction score
So we tested out the Blichmann Hop Rocket as a Randalizer the other day and were somewhat unimpressed with the final result. We used about 3oz of Cascade hops. The first 4-8 pints, as expected, were foamy until we raised the pressure to 2.5 bar and purged all the air. It started to get foamy again until we turned the hop rocket upside down, and then it poured fine. Why Blichmann has the flow going up, I have no idea!!
The taste was... well, it had a barnyard/straw type aroma to it, that only came on strong after about 30 minutes.
What experiences have you guys had? I expected a big aroma kick of hops, not a slight straw taste and aroma. Any tips for a newbie to the Randalizer game?

I have one as well and I have only used it once. I put a dry stout through three oz. of Columbus hops and it was great. A little foamy at first but once it sat in the keggarator awhile it worked well. As far as why the flow goes up if you notice how the screen is set up on the bottom there is a gap so the beer fills that portion then pushes up through the hops to get an even distrobution of the hops. I got a huge aroma kick in mine. I love it and cannot wait to use it again. I am considering getting a second to use as a infuser. Also try different kinds of hops. It may make a difference as well.

Well I have put a hop rocket inline with my keg yesterday and after pulling a few pints through it the "grassy" taste died down. I used a wheat beer that had very little hops in it and the aroma and taste was amped up. I don't know how people say that dry hopping adds no bitterness as this is not the case or at least it tastes more bitter. I hove only pulled 6 beers or so thought it and I am still getting flakes of hops. This is not really a big deal I kinda expected that for a wile. What did happen is that I use the European flow control taps and the initial hop flakes did clog the tap around the flow control. So maybe just use a regular tap instead when I am using the hopback as a randalizer. I am using some 2011 verity of Continental hops that are still in good condition (vac packs and in a freezer). I would do it again. I am getting nice aroma just try giving it some time.

I have used my Hoprocket a few times now and love it. Hop choice is important. I ran a pale ale through an oz of Centennial and while I did get a bunch of aroma up front it was not that strong on the front. After it sat a bit it got really grassy and stayed that way unless you are pulling a fair amount of beer. I have run an IPA and a Pale Ale through Citra and it was smooth, beautiful, and tasty the entire time. More or less since the Blichmann holds something like 32oz of beer if you let it sit long it will get a bit strong/grassy, better to keep it flowing as much as possible.

I have never had foaming problems. The flow goes up because running it down can create an airlock or bubble and prevent proper flow. I set mine up exactly like Blichmann says and have zero issues. I ran it once through a kegerator with about 6 feet of beer line on either side of the rocket. I ran it twice through a jockey box with a cold plate and about the same 6 feet of line on either side of the rocket.

Back