Hop recommendations wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nreed

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm about to put in an order of grains, yeast and hops and I can't decide on which hops I want to try out. I'm 5 brews in, first 2 were ok, 3rd went down the drain but I seem to have nailed it with the 4th (single hop Mosaic Pale) and 5th (Amarillo/Chinook APA).

So far I've mainly stuck to pale 2-row or MO for grains but I'm going to order some wheat malt with this order as I've really developed a taste for some wheat beers recently. I'll be buying enough for the next 4-5 batches and have two rough ideas for recipes but would be interested to try some new hops maybe in another single hop recipe or some classic pairings I haven't tried before.

So far I've used Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo and Chinook. I'm planning on doing a Northern Monk Faith style clone so will top up my Mosaic as i'm running low and order some Equinox. I'm also thinking of doing an American Wheat style beer with maybe Amarillo to get a subtle orangy type flavour to it.

Apart from this, I'm interested to try some new hops/pairings and looking for inspiration. I've had some great help from this forum so far so thought where else to go!

Cheers!

I'm also thinking of doing an American Wheat style beer with maybe Amarillo to get a subtle orangy type flavour to it.

Apart from this, I'm interested to try some new hops/pairings and looking for inspiration. I've had some great help from this forum so far so thought where else to go!

I really like Citra and Amarillo together. I think they would work well in a hoppy American Wheat Ale.

A hop that doesn't get the attention it deserves, in my opinion, is Target. It has fantastic floral qualities, and if you use it for dry hopping or in a hop stand, it'll push out a lot of Juicy Fruit character, but it also has a pungent onion-like effect on the nose. With a moderately high alpha content, it can be used as both a bittering and an aroma hop.

Willamette and Centennial are two of my other favorite hops, Willamette being a bit spicy, and Centennial being one of the juiciest ever. They make an excellent pair in amber IPAs.

You already tried Amarillo, which is another great hop, IMO.

To make your malt backbone a bit more complex, maybe add some Victory, Crystal 40, flaked corn, flaked barley and/or Vienna.

I also always have some acidulated malt on hand to drop the pH. Depending on your source water, and how dark your grains are, it doesn't take much. You should use a recipe calculator to be certain, but four ounces in a five-gallon batch will never be too far off.

Back