Hop questions ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeljcarr

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for:
1.5 oz Chinook at 60 min
1.5 oz Chinook at 20 min
1. Oz Chinook at 1 min
1. Oz Chinook dry hop

My LHBS only had 1 oz of Chinook pellets and 1 oz of Chinook whole leaf. I bought 3 oz of Cascade as a substitute.

My questions are:
Should I use cascade for the early additions and if so should I match the quantity or use less since Cascade has higher alphas?

Assuming I save the Chinook for the late addition and for dry hopping. Would it be better to use the whole leaf for the late addition of dry hopping? I'm a little worried about getting the hops out of the carboy, especially if I were to bag them.

All thoughts are welcome.

Mikel

Well, chinook and cascade hops aren't all that similar- but they go great together in IPAs and APAs. If you're doing something that needs a strong chinook flavor, like an Arrogant Bastard clone, the cascade hops won't make the same beer. But if you're making a solid IPA, you can use the cascades in place of some of the chinook hops.

The thing to be careful with is the amount of bittering in the 60 minute addition. Usually, cascade hops are a lot lower in AAUs than chinook, so you need more of them to get the same amount of bittering (IBUs).

What's the rest of the recipe like, and what are you trying to achieve with this beer? That can help us point you to a good substitute schedule for the hops.

It actually is an Arrogant Bastard clone. I'm not so worried about duplicating the beer exactly, but would like to create a similar style beer. Would there be a better hop substitute?

Mikel

Thanks. I was looking at that and let the LHBS guy talk me into cascade. As much as I want to buy local, I may be sticking with Northern Brewer in the foreseeable future.

Mikel

Thanks. I was looking at that and let the LHBS guy talk me into cascade. As much as I want to buy local, I may be sticking with Northern Brewer in the foreseeable future.

Mikel

Well, don't worry, cascade is as good as any sub. There really isn't any sub for chinook- it's got a piney resiny citrus that no other hop can match.

What you could do is get a different bittering hop. The cascades would be ok, but you'd probably have to use all three ounces at 60 minutes to get the same as 1.5 ounces of chinook at 60 minutes, depending on the AAUs. I'd probably just get a neutral but high alpha bittering hop- warrior, nugget, galena, magnum- and then use the chinook at 15 and 1 minute, although that's still a bit light on the hops.

I love cascade with chinook, so if you're not too tied up with it being an AB clone, you could do something like this:

Warrior (or whatever) 60 minutes, using the same AAU% as your chinook to get the amount- probably about 1.25-1.5 oz
Chinook 1 oz 15 minutes
Cascade 1 oz 10 minutes
Chinook 1 oz 5 minutes
Cascade 1 oz 0 minutes
Dryhop with cascades, unless you can score more chinook by then

Back