Hop Lord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Running_Crazy

Reaction score
I just ordered this IPA extract kit from Midwest Supplies along with a yeast starter kit as well. Can't wait till it all comes in. This will be my first yeast starter brew and first 2 stage fermentation with some dry hoping. Not real sure how much starter I need to mix it up? Any tips for a 5 gal batch using WL001 California Ale Yeast?

I brewed this a few months back and my friends and I are enjoying it now. Seriously good beer. I do think Midwest might be overstating the ABV though. If you don't mind, and get a chance, please post your SG and FG so I can see if I messed up. That being said, this is definitely a "no heavy machinery" beer.

So enjoy! It's a very good, fun to brew IPA!

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely try to remember to let you know the gravities that I get. I'm not sure when I'll brew this one. I'm waiting on it to come in. Thanks again for the feedback.

I just brewed this on wednesday and I ended up with an og of 1.071 ill try to post the fg when its time to keg

just transferred to a secondary today. i added 3 med size beets to try and get a rich red color. it tasted very sweet yet so im thinking of doing a third racking to let it settle. the kit suggests 3 week secondary so maybe itll even out on its own. i didnt take a gravity reading but ill keep posting any updates

Kegged today got a final gravity of 1.018 for an ABV ~7?
I didn't do a temp reading for the "mash" so maybe that's why the ABV turned out low? Not sure but that's what I got out of it.

Yeah I was a little disappointed since the kit was about $60 for me. It's an ok beer just not what I expected. Whether it was something on my part or Midwest who knows. There's always the next batch!

Give it enough time and she'll be a very good IPA. I've brewed it twice and it was a crowd pleaser both time. gets better with time

I brewed this yesterday and had an OG of 1.072. It does appear that Midwest is off on their calculations. I would love to hear from someone who hit the OG with what is sent in the kit.

I recently brewed the extract version of this beer. While my water volumes were a bit off, my sg was 1.072. I agree that Midwest has miscalculated

UPDATE: I brewed the Extract version of this beer almost a year ago. It took nearly 3 months to bottle carb (almost paniced). My ABV came in at 9.xx%. I have been extremely pleased with it. Definitely one that I will consider doing again.

Back