hop leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebob

Reaction score
quick question, I made BM;s Kona Fire Rock clone, the recipe call to dry hop with 1/2oz of centennial pellet. I ran out of centennial pellet and my LHBS only have leaves. How much should I use to get the same result? Thx in advance.

Leaves?? I hope you mean whole hops. Generally 1.2 oz. pellet= 1.0 oz. whole hops.
Seeing as it's dryhopping, I'd just toss in the whole oz.

Yes I mean whole (never used it before), good thing I asked, thought it was the other way around (ratio). Will dry hop in the keg. I bought 3oz, should I keep them in the freezer too?

Yes I mean whole (never used it before), good thing I asked, thought it was the other way around (ratio). Will dry hop in the keg. I bought 3oz, should I keep them in the freezer too?

Yes. Just stick them in the freezer for the next batch.

You might want to dry hop in the primary instead of the keg. Some people have mentioned that hops left in the beer too long develop a "grassy flavor". Your keg might be empty before that happens but if not, who wants grassy flavored beer.

If I don't weigh down the cone hops in a muslin bag they just float on the top. If you weigh them down you get better results imo. Be sure to sanitize the bag and whatever you choose to weigh it down with.

The way I remember it is that whole leaf hops have more volume per the same weight as pellets. So I use the same amount by weight, & use a muslin grain bag I save from the kits to put them in, due to their larger volume. The sack should be soaked in no-rinse sanitizer before filling & dropping it in to dry hop.

Back