Hop leaves in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmg2800

Reaction score
I bottled a 90 min ipa clone last night. I dry hopped directly in the primary. I've dry hopped with no muslin bags before and did it for this batch. The 90 minute ipa clone called for a large amount of hops to dry hop with. When transferring to the bottling bucket I did my best to not get hops to transfer. While bottling I noticed and occasional chunk going into the bottle. A good number of the bottles have a leaf or two of the hops the size of a crushed red pepper flake. Is this going to effect the taste or give it a grassy flavor?

I wouldn't worry too much about something that small getting through. I've had some hops get through to my keg during the transfer and I never noticed any grassy or other off flavors.

I always dryhop without a muslin bag and I've gotten a few hop leafs in my bottles/keg and I've never had any grassy flavors or anything. I think you'll be fine. As the bottles settle out after they carb up the leaves should fall out and get stuck in the yeast trub in the bottom of the bottle.

Latest posts

Back