Hop infuser before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
The Zymurgy article on building a Randall got me wondering, is it possible to run your beer through a Randall and into bottles (rather than out a tap) and still keep the beer carbonated?

From what I've read of Randalls, foaming can be an issue. I use a Blichmann beer gun. I thought maybe having an extra long line on the outflow end of the Randall may help reduce foaming.... Last thing I want is competition judges popping open a great smelling, FLAT IPA.

Option 2 might be to hook the Randall up between two kegs. Push beer from one keg through Randall and into other keg. Then hook CO2 up to new keg, readjust carbonation level, and bottle.

Any experience? Regardless of method, I would flush everything with CO2 first.

I haven't yet. Recently moved and havent brewed in awhile. But will try Option 2 in a few months when I brew an IIPA.

Just an update, I finally tried option #2 as described above. I brewed a Pale Ale and put three ozs of leaf hops (Amarillo / Citra blend) into the Randall. I slowly pushed the Pale Ale (just kegged, not carbonated) from one keg using CO2 through the Randall and into another keg. Note, I flushed both kegs and the Randall with CO2 first. Just tried the carbed beer today, big fresh hop aroma like I had hoped. A little bit of a PITA but not too bad. Is this process any different than dry hopping? Meh, probably not. But it's another brew toy for the arsenal. I'll try the Randall with cacao nibs and coffee beans next.

Back