Hop height of various varieties...help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilohertz

Reaction score
Hi gang,

My rhizomes are due to arrive and I will be planting this weekend and need to know which of my varieties will have the shortest bines. I have 20, 18' poles in 4 rows 100' long, but there are a few telephone lines traversing the hop yard and I want to put the shortest varieties under them, to mitigate any opportunity for them to "reach out and touch someone". :cross:

Here is what I have

Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Golding
Mt. Hood
Nugget
Sterling
Willamette

Look forward to some experienced growers guidance.

Cheers

I have all but goldings in my yard.

Cascade, chinook, and nugget tend to be very vigorous. The chinook has jumped to a nearby tree and will grow 30' into it.

Hood and sterling (in my experience) are less agressive. However, they still reach the top of my 17' trellis without issue.

My nugget plant grew 5-6 feet horizontally down a fence and then straight to the top of a 25 foot pole.

Thanks guys,

All plants are in, 300' of drip line installed...just need to put in the emitters. Dirty day in the yard...now to watch for them to sprout.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back