Hop growing on a gutter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilwaukeeBrewGuy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
can you grow hops on the top of a house gutter? My home's front yard faces south so i was wonder if i could grow them up to the gutter and then just run them along the gutter? Anyone do this?

They would need something to grip. What would you use for that? I have no personal experience but have read that hops need a little more attention to grow horizontally.

I clean my gutters 5 or 6 times a year without encouraging live plants to grow in them.

My Saaz are almost to my roof now and need somewhere to go...Im going to let them climb my roof. I have cedar shingles so it should be ok. I would hesitate with black asphalt/comp shingles...

man that would look really nice. I am really jealous. SAAZ and cedar shingles...geez.

I was thinking to try and keep them on the gutter and not on the asphalt shingles. maybe they will just need to occupy space in the vegetable garden. I have always admired vines growing on houses.

Back