Hop/Grain substitutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmidc

Reaction score
What is everyones opinions on making substitutions in a recipe. I've been buying bulk hops (like 6-8varieties) that allows me to pretty much sub those in to most any recipe that I come across but I'm starting to think maybe this isn't the best idea. Same thing with grain, I have been buying American 2 row and pils in bulk then making due with those. Adding a little victory for subbing Maris Otter, and using American pils in recipes that call for German or Belgian Pils. I look at the amount of money I have tied up in my rig, fermentation and kegging and am starting to think is it worth worrying about the few extra bucks that it costs to buy all the same ingredients the recipe calls for. Is the beer I'm making slightly inferior from what it could be without subbing? For the most part I've been brewing recipes out of Brewing Classic Styles and also from the recipe section of this site. What do you guys think? I brew roughly 2-3 5gals batches a month for what that's worth.:mug:

What is everyones opinions on making substitutions in a recipe. I've been buying bulk hops (like 6-8varieties) that allows me to pretty much sub those in to most any recipe that I come across but I'm starting to think maybe this isn't the best idea. Same thing with grain, I have been buying American 2 row and pils in bulk then making due with those. Adding a little victory for subbing Maris Otter, and using American pils in recipes that call for German or Belgian Pils. I look at the amount of money I have tied up in my rig, fermentation and kegging and am starting to think is it worth worrying about the few extra bucks that it costs to buy all the same ingredients the recipe calls for. Is the beer I'm making slightly inferior from what it could be without subbing? For the most part I've been brewing recipes out of Brewing Classic Styles and also from the recipe section of this site. What do you guys think? I brew roughly 2-3 5gals batches a month for what that's worth.:mug:
Mpst of us have subbed one thing or another for whatever reason, will it be the same exact beer? No, but it will still be good beer almost always, I sometimes will sub in different hops and grains just to see what difference if any it will make to the original, sometimes its better sometimes its not, but its still good beer. :mug:

I guess it depends on how much you brew and how you buy. I stock five bulk grains, U.S. 2-Row, Belgian Pils, Maris Otter, Golden Promise and Munich. At the rate I brew (20+ times/year) and with brewing generally modest to bigger beers, these should turnover in 12 to 24 months, which for unmilled grain, should be acceptable. They are stored in 50 quart pet food bins that have a gasket in the lid. Do I occassionally have to substitute Belgian Pils for German Pils or Maris Otter for generic British 2-row? Sure, but those would be harder to spot.

On the specialty grains front I do what I can to not make any substitutions. All the grains are kept in sealed zip-lock containers and then stored in homer buckets. I have the luxury of having a Northern Brewer in town with an amazing assortment of specialty grains, but I also plan my batches 3-4 at a time so I can mail order from Midwest Supplies where the prices are a little cheaper.

For hops, I have a vacuum sealer and like specialty grains, rarely make substitutions anymore. Eventually I'll use up that last 1/4 ounce even if it takes a couple years and by keeping the leftovers vacuum sealed and frozen, they should maintain their alpha levels for years.

In summary, I spend way too much time (6 hours per batch including cleanup) and money to make substitutions on the end product. Of course, it all requires an understanding wife when it comes to storing that much supplies.

I guess it depends on how much you brew and how you buy. I stock five bulk grains, U.S. 2-Row, Belgian Pils, Maris Otter, Golden Promise and Munich. At the rate I brew (20+ times/year) and with brewing generally modest to bigger beers, these should turnover in 12 to 24 months, which for unmilled grain, should be acceptable. They are stored in 50 quart pet food bins that have a gasket in the lid. Do I occassionally have to substitute Belgian Pils for German Pils or Maris Otter for generic British 2-row? Sure, but those would be harder to spot.

On the specialty grains front I do what I can to not make any substitutions. All the grains are kept in sealed zip-lock containers and then stored in homer buckets. I have the luxury of having a Northern Brewer in town with an amazing assortment of specialty grains, but I also plan my batches 3-4 at a time so I can mail order from Midwest Supplies where the prices are a little cheaper.

For hops, I have a vacuum sealer and like specialty grains, rarely make substitutions anymore. Eventually I'll use up that last 1/4 ounce even if it takes a couple years and by keeping the leftovers vacuum sealed and frozen, they should maintain their alpha levels for years.

In summary, I spend way too much time (6 hours per batch including cleanup) and money to make substitutions on the end product. Of course, it all requires an understanding wife when it comes to storing that much supplies.

Hey I'm just to the north of you. I haven't been down to check out the Northern Brewer in West Allis but I plan to soon. It's actually where I planned on picking up my 50lbs bags of grain. I get my specialty grains for my lhbs. I too brew around 20 batches a year I think I have to agree with you on all this. I have a grinder now so I too am planning on stocking some specialty grains or atleast buying the full pound for every recipe and like you say I'll get around to using it. I too seal my hops and keep them in the freezer. I wasn't aware they would be good for that long. I thought maybe 9-12 months tops. But if they are good up to a couple years down the road maybe I'll just stock up. :rockin: So I'm thinking I'd like to stock Maris Otter or Golden Promise, Continental Pilsner, Munich, and possibly wheat(summer is coming;)). As far as hops go I think I'll definetely keep buying my American "C" hops in bulk and maybe something like magnum for bittering. Or maybe just buy a pound of it when it comes up in a recipe:D. My SWMBO too is very understanding about my hobby. We'll see just how understanding when she sees the bill for the bulk orders :rockin: Easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission right :D

Back