HOP For AMERICA Summer WHEAT BEER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I would like to build the hop America summer wheat beer with piney and Citrus flavor.
So, I use all America hopes which Chinook/Simcoe will provide piney flavor, and Centennial will provide Citrus flavor. Please check my recipe as follows.
It is 20L batch.

3kg Gladfield America Ale
2kg Thomas Fawcatt white wheat
6g Chinook 60min
35g Centennial 15min
35g Chinook dry hops 5 days
35g Simcoe dry hopes 5 days

I go with this recipe for 5 batchs.
The result goes well ; However, I would like to make it better. I read some article which comes out two different recipes as follows. (Amount of hops is identical like before) But, I have no idea if it is right or not, please let me know what you think and the comments. ^^
Big thanks !

1. If I would like to have my beer with Piney favor and Citrus favor support,
the receipt will be as follows.

6g Chinook 60min
10g Centennial 15min
12g Chinook 15min
12g Simcoe 15min
49g Centennial Dry hops 5 days
10.5g Chinook Dry hops 5 days
10.5g Simcook Dry hops 5 days

2. If I would like to have my beer with Citrus favor and Piney favor support,
the receipt will be as follows.

6g Chinook 60min
24g Centennial 15min
5g Chinook 15min
5g Simcoe 15min
21g centennial Dry hopes 5 days
24.5g chinook Dry hopes 5 days
24.5g Simcoe Dry hopes 5 days

Last edited:
I think the recipes look fine. Have you calculated out your expected OG and IBU's? Is that 5 gallons? You said "baths", I think maybe a translation error there. :)
I don't know that there will be a huge difference between the recipes, but give it a try and see! I do usually get a lot of pine from the chinook/simcoe combo so I think you are on track there. What yeast are you using?

Last edited:
If you aren't familiar with hop stands and whirlpool hops, you may want to do some research on those.

Those hops are added after the boil, when the wort has cooled down a bit, anywhere between 190°F (88°C) and 150°F (66°C) and left there for 15-30 minutes or longer. The wort retains much more of the hops aroma and flavor that way, while only adding a little or none to bittering (IBUs).

If you decide to do those hop stands, add a little more bittering hops to compensate so you end up with your intended IBUs.

Using that method, I'm quite sure you'll impress yourself (and others) about the hop flavor in your beers.

Last edited:
I think the recipes look fine. Have you calculated out your expected OG and IBU's? Is that 5 gallons? You said "baths", I think maybe a translation error there. :)
I don't know that there will be a huge difference between the recipes, but give it a try and see! I do usually get a lot of pine from the chinook/simcoe combo so I think you are on track there. What yeast are you using?

Thanks ! I will try these two recipes and see what's the different.
My recipe is 20L.
The OG is around 1.050, and IBU is around 37.
My yeast is Mangover M44.

I come out of one question.
I did provide my recipe to one JBCP judge check my receipt. He think that my hops have the problem because chinook/simcoe and centennial are separated to two different group, and the favor of hop will be not balance. Please let me know your comments about it !! ^^

If you aren't familiar with hop stands and whirlpool hops, you may want to do some research on those.

Those hops are added after the boil, when the wort has cooled down a bit, anywhere between 190°F (88°C) and 150°F (66°C) and left there for 15-30 minutes or longer. The wort retains much more of the hops aroma and flavor that way, while only adding a little or none to bittering (IBUs).

If you decide to do those hop stands, add a little more bittering hops to compensate so you end up with your intended IBUs.

Using that method, I'm quite sure you'll impress yourself (and others) about the hop flavor in your beers.

Yup! it is "Citrus" Thanks for correct, and the suggestion about the hop stands
I would like to try it. May I have your suggestion how to adjust my receipt to do the hop stands process? Big thanks !!

Thanks ! I will try these two recipes and see what's the different.
My recipe is 20L.
The OG is around 1.050, and IBU is around 37.
My yeast is Mangover M44.

I come out of one question.
I did provide my recipe to one JBCP judge check my receipt. He think that my hops have the problem because chinook/simcoe and centennial are separated to two different group, and the favor of hop will be not balance. Please let me know your comments about it !! ^^

Looks good. I'm not sure why the judge would make that comment. Centennial and Chinook are two of the "C" hops which have been commonly used in various combinations in American ales (especially prior to all the newer, tropical fruit varieties). Simcoe is a classic hop to pair with the C hops. I have used centennial, chinook, and simcoe in combination many times and they go together well.

Yup! it is "Citrus" Thanks for correct, and the suggestion about the hop stands
I would like to try it. May I have your suggestion how to adjust my receipt to do the hop stands process? Big thanks !!

Thanks for correcting the Citra to Citrus!

For example, with a whirlpool/hop stand, Recipe #1 would become like this:

3kg Gladfield America Ale (unchanged)
2kg Thomas Fawcett white wheat (unchanged)
6g 20g Chinook 60min (added 14g extra to get your 26-30 IBUs)
There won't be any late boil hops, they've all been moved to the whirlpool/hop stand
After the boil (turn off the heat), chill the wort down to 160°F (71°C) then add:
10g Centennial
12g Chinook
12g Simcoe
Whirlpool/hop stand these 3 hops for 30' at 160°F (71°C)*
If you don't recirculate the wort (using a pump), stir the wort, without splashing, every 3-5 minutes to bring the hops back into suspension.​
After the whirlpool, chill down to pitching temps, transfer the wort to fermentor, aerate the wort and pitch the yeast.
49g Centennial Dry hops 5 days (unchanged)
10.5g Chinook Dry hops 5 days (unchanged)
10.5g Simcoe Dry hops 5 days (unchanged)

* At 160°F (71°C) there will be very little bittering, and lots of flavor and aroma extraction.
You could whirlpool/hop stand at higher temps, such as 170°F (77°C) or 180°F (82°C) or anywhere in in the 150-190°F (66-88°C) range. At higher temps there will be more bittering, while the wort loses more of its hop flavor/aroma and quicker. You could shorten the whirlpool at the higher temps to 10-15' to limit that somewhat.

Lots of variables you can manipulate to get what you want.
You can also easily double up on the whirlpool hops.

I'd recommend you start with the 160°F (71°C) whirlpool, as it will make the biggest difference, and adjust it from there to your liking.

Back