Hop Extract Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdauber64

Reaction score
I ordered a 100G can of Hop Extract from Yakima Valley Hops. I plan to split this up into 5 ml syringes and use them as Bittering additions in all my beers. My question is how do Icalculate the IBU's in iBrewmaster. The description says: "One milliliter yields around 10 IBUs in 5 gallons of 1.050 wort when boiled for 60 minutes." Based on this information, I created a 1.050 recipe in iBrewmaster added 5 oz of Cascade hops and adjusted the Alpha % until I got to 50 IBUs. I ended up with an Alpha % of 2.89% per oz.

Can I assume that each ml will be equivilant to 1 oz of 2.89% alpha hop and use that to calculate my bittering IBU's in every recipe? So for a 1.071 IPA if I want 82 IBU's for my bittering charge I would need to add 10 ml?

Thanks, I just want to confirm that my IBU's will be correct when using these syringes.

In case anybody is wondering(or cares), I was able to get 30 - 5ml HopShots out of my 100 gram can of Hop extract. This is $120 dollars worth if you were to buy them individually at Northern Brewer. I spent $21 for the Hop extract and $18 dollars for 100 - 5 ml syringes with caps. So less than $40 and I have 70 syringes left for the next time.

Now I just have to figure out the math on how to use them in my brewing software..... :mug:

Back