Hop debris in Keg, would gelatin help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wacki

Reaction score
Hi all, I have an IIPA that I made a few months back, I cold crashed in in the secondary after dry hopping for 2 weeks and then racked to a keg and it's been sitting in my keezer for about 3 weeks. I've pulled maybe 7-8 pints off the keg so far, with all of them being pretty cloudy with visible hop chunks floating around...

Is there anything I can do to help this? I've heard gelatin but also heard that doesn't help with hop particles...thoughts??

You could rack it into another keg and leave the last inch or two, that would probably get rid of most of the hop particles.

Interested in hearing others suggestions. I use a mesh bag over my racking cane /auto siphon when transfering. It works really well on filtering out the hop debris.

I put my hops in a large paint strainer during the boil and then when I dry hop, I do it in the keg, by putting the (leaf) hops in a small paint strainer, zip-tying it to the dip tube (using my dainty hands) and then I pressurize the keg (just to force-seal it) and turn it upside down. It forces the hops to not float on the top. After my dry-hop period, I turn the keg right-side up, remove the hop bag, and then pressurize. BTW you could pressurize while dry hopping by hooking the air up to the liquid connector while it's upside down.

No straining necessary.

Back