Hop choice dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jperry

Reaction score
I am currently browsing Yakimavalleyhops.com, to purchase more hops but I'm having a tough time choosing between a few different varietals. They are running a special, and my current budget only allows me to choose one of these three great deals. Which would YOU choose and WHY? COLUMBUS, GALENA, and SUMMIT

Columbus all the way for me! Great for bittering/flavor/aroma/dry hopping additions. Excellent with other hops, or as a single hop beer! Mmmmmm, love me some Columbus!

Thanks for your input. Im buying in bulk and I don't want to be stuck with 5#s of something I don't like.

I just bought 2#s of Columbus, and this deal looks good still! Do you like to hop the crap out of your beers? Is that even a question if you are considering 5#s??
:drunk:

Yea, I tend to be heavy handed with hop additions, I like the aroma more than bitterness. Im looking at 5 lbs. because its cheap, in the specials section.

Now that i realize i'm spending too much, Im only gonna get a couple #s. I'd rather wait to buy some of the new 2012 crops.

Yeah, I bought my 2#s BOGO, but unless the shipping is high I think this is a good deal. $7 a #. Having that much of one could make for some pretty cheap experiments! While the new crop is right around the corner, it won't be this cheap either

Now that i realize i'm spending too much, Im only gonna get a couple #s. I'd rather wait to buy some of the new 2012 crops.

Ha, I had a butt puckering too many hops hops order going. I was preordering some 2012 hops(citra, ammarillo, simcoe) and had had a 9 lb order in my cart...asked my hophead girlfriend what she thought...she said you better double the order and I'll pay. I'm like where are we going to put it all...Well I wasn't going to tell you this, but I'm buying you another freezer...

:ban: great girl and great day.

Oh yeah...I dont think you want 5lbs of columbus...the are seriously potent and unless you really love them, you dont need to use that much of em in a batch.

Damn, you have an awesome girl from the sounds of it. Im in college and most chicks don't even know what hops are. I hope I find one that knows about beer, someday.

Just FYI - the deal is 5lbs of columbus for $35, right? The same site has columbus for $8 per lb. Both are really good deals, but I'd personally spend $1 per lb and get multiple varieties. I really like columbus, but I don't want 50 gallons of 100% columbus IPA.

Just FYI - the deal is 5lbs of columbus for $35, right? The same site has columbus for $8 per lb. Both are really good deals, but I'd personally spend $1 per lb and get multiple varieties. I really like columbus, but I don't want 50 gallons of 100% columbus IPA.

Yea thats the deal... After I did the math. I came to the same conclusion, that i'd rather have a pound of a few different varieties. Im glad I thought it through, and didnt buy a whole 5#s. I posted this thread, so that you guys could help talk me out of buying all 5#s. I went with a # of bravo and columbus...

I got my first # of Bravo, from nikobrew.com. Oh man, I wish I had bought more because the aroma is so great. I highly recommend trying some.

Summit hands down...I started out using columbus but only use in one of my recipes now and I wouldn't call it my best. I find myself trying to slide summit into just about every other recipe I have.

Plus, I actually find it economical as an aroma/flavor hop. Its super potent and with such a high AA% you get to cut down or even cut out your bittering hops. I haven't done a hop addition beyond 20 minutes in almost 6 months. I also find that it ages amazing in beer.

Summit hands down...I started out using columbus but only use in one of my recipes now and I wouldn't call it my best. I find myself trying to slide summit into just about every other recipe I have.

Plus, I actually find it economical as an aroma/flavor hop. Its super potent and with such a high AA% you get to cut down or even cut out your bittering hops. I haven't done a hop addition beyond 20 minutes in almost 6 months. I also find that it ages amazing in beer.

Cool thanks for your input. I'll have to try some summit next time I buy hops!

I don´t care for Columbus for any other but bittering and 5 pounds of a strong alpha acid hop just for bittering seems like a lot to me. I would go with summit, there is a lot of people here that talk about that onion aroma/flavor that produces but it never happend to me. I just love summit.

I was preordering some 2012 hops(citra, ammarillo, simcoe) and had had a 9 lb order in my cart...asked my hophead girlfriend what she thought...she said you better double the order and I'll pay. I'm like where are we going to put it all...Well I wasn't going to tell you this, but I'm buying you another freezer...

:ban: great girl and great day.
how the hell is this young lady is still your girlfriend and not your fiancee?!?

GET ON THAT.

Latest posts

Back