Hop care questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So my plant is about 1' and I am going to trim back all but two of my bines this week. I know you want to give them liquid fertilizer once every 4 weeks, so I just did that for the first time as well. My questions are, should I plan on getting anything in case of pests? Also should I worry about anything else throughout the growing season??

Are these newly planted hops? If so...don't trim them. You need to let them go to maximize root growth. Just keep them well watered and get some organic vegetable pecticide incase you spot bugs. I have a big problem with japanese beetles, but that's about it.

yep let them grow and hold off on the pesticides until last resort. I would let bugs eat quite a few leaves etc before spraying anything on my hops. I believe that neem oil could possibly be reason I had issues with my plants last year.

First year it's a good idea to let all of the above ground growth go. It's your plant so do what you want but it's the year-two and on plants that need shoots trimmed. First year is all about growth both above and below ground with little regard to production. As for pests I don't worry about them too much here the few jap beetles I see I flick off and the plant I had aphids on last year I just move a few ladybugs to. Hop growing is like brewing. Everyone has a different means to an end and generally with patience we all make beer.

i like to use ladybugs to control other critters as well...however, they don't help me too much with that damn downy mildew that's everywhere in the carolinas.

BTW, i tried insecticidal soap w/neem oil two years ago to "control" the pest...and control them it did. it looked like someone took a match and charcoal lighter to my hop plants. leaf burn will work wonders for getting rid of bugs - just not too great for growing hops.

So my plant is about 1' and I am going to trim back all but two of my bines this week. I know you want to give them liquid fertilizer once every 4 weeks, so I just did that for the first time as well. My questions are, should I plan on getting anything in case of pests? Also should I worry about anything else throughout the growing season??

No fert until you have significant above ground growth (trained bines several feet tall at a minimum). Nitrogen uptake is minimal until then.

I got spider mites on mine last year.

Tobacco "tea" and listerine applied in the late evening (to avoid leaf burn) worked fine.

Thorough and frequent watering is good and will keep spider mites out.

Latest posts

Back