Hop bursting VS. Continuous hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the style, but if I hop burst it would be on IPA, Pale ales, etc. I have done continuous hopping on 2 recipes that I had done multiple times before and found it hard to find a big difference, so I typically just follow a traditional hop schedule. Is it really a smooher hop flavor or is it there because I'm looking for it? To much time to hover over the kettle every 5-10 minutes for little difference, now if you have an automatic hopper thats another thing.

For me hop bursting is going to get you a bigger difference in your beers. I would just make sure you do some 60+ minute hop if you want that good bitter bite.

My opinion, any one else?

I have found my hop burst ales are less bitter than calculated. On paper the ale should be balanced, but in practice it is definitely tilted towards the sweet side. So in the future I will increase my ibus by 10-20% to compensate. If I did a bittering charge then, IMO, it loses the whole point of hop bursting.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have found my hop burst ales are less bitter than calculated. On paper the ale should be balanced, but in practice it is definitely tilted towards the sweet side. So in the future I will increase my ibus by 10-20% to compensate. If I did a bittering charge then, IMO, it loses the whole point of hop bursting.

What if you added the hop burst (flavor) hops at 20 minutes instead of 15.
Would that add enough additional IBUs?
Would the flavor extraction at 20 minutes be close to that at 15 minutes?

What if you added the hop burst (flavor) hops at 20 minutes instead of 15.

Would that add enough additional IBUs?

Would the flavor extraction at 20 minutes be close to that at 15 minutes?

All of my hop burst ales are additions at 20 minutes and less. 20,10, 5, 0. Or some variation of that to get the calculated ibus correct. Even with this technique, the perceived bitterness is lower. This is something I will negate with the overall increase of hops.

You can get plenty of IBUs in just 15 minutes, you just have to be prepared to use 2-3x the hops. Even with sub 8% aa hops, getting to 60 IBU is easy.

That percieved bitterness is why I still add a small 60 minute hop. Hop bursting kind of rounds out the flavor. You could always up your hop burst as well, but I like that mouth puckering bite that I only seem to get from 60 minute boils.

Another question would be: 1 oz of a hop at 60 min should yield what 2 oz at 15 minutes yields, but do they actually taste the same? Is there some difference in humulone/humulene levels between the two based on how we got there?

Does anyone continuous hop???

So a continuous hopping method should create a balanced hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma while a hop bursting method should create a more flavor and aroma based beer, correct?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to make a super strong red ale.. So I was either going to add hop extract for bittering (~100 IBUs), hop burst, and dry hop.. Or I could just do a continuous hop and dry hop.

All of my hop burst ales are additions at 20 minutes and less. 20,10, 5, 0. Or some variation of that to get the calculated ibus correct. Even with this technique, the perceived bitterness is lower. This is something I will negate with the overall increase of hops.

Why Hops burst at 10 minutes or less?
They will provide less flavor and less IBUs.
If you use the entire Hops Burst amount at 20 minutes, you will get a lot of flavor and enough IBUs.
Though you wont get much aroma.

Why Hops burst at 10 minutes or less?

They will provide less flavor and less IBUs.

If you use the entire Hops Burst amount at 20 minutes, you will get a lot of flavor and enough IBUs.

Though you wont get much aroma.

Exactly, you said it. You won't get much aroma. The point of hop bursting is to get intense flavor and aroma.

Exactly, you said it. You won't get much aroma. The point of hop bursting is to get intense flavor and aroma.

If you want intense aroma you need a different technique, a hop stand and dry hopping. If you want intense flavor, add more hops at 15-20 minutes.

Adding hops at 10 minutes accomplishes neither, not as much flavor and not much aroma.

If you want intense aroma you need a different technique, a hop stand and dry hopping. If you want intense flavor, add more hops at 15-20 minutes.

Adding hops at 10 minutes accomplishes neither, not as much flavor and not much aroma.

I disagree.

I found my IPAs and Pales turned for the better after I started hop bursting. I still will do a small first wort hop or 60 min sometimes though, keeping it low though, 10IBU or less.

I do all FWH for my beers. I really like the bitterness I get with it. I basically FWH my bittering addition and then hop burst 5-mins before flame out. I think it produces all around good beers.

Like most things brewing related, whatever technique you adopt, if you make good beer, you are making adjustments in other places to compensate for what your process gives you. Changing that process produces different things. They are not better or worse necessarily, but just different.

Back