Hop Additions/Schedule for Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NothingRhymesWithCurtiss

Reaction score
I'm tweaking a Black IPA recipe that I've brewed a few times. I'm happy with the malt bill (already bought), but could use some recommendations on the hop additions and schedule.

2 Gallons
90 Minute Boil
60 Minute Mash @ 151°
Est OG 1.08
Est FG 1.02
Safale US-05 @ 63°

Recipe (Scaled up to 5 Gallons from 2):
  • 12.5# 2 Row
  • 1.875# Carafa 2 Special
  • 0.875# Carapils
  • 0.375# Crystal 75
  • 0.375# Flaked Oats

• 0.875oz Magnum @ 90
  • 0.95oz Simcoe @ 15
  • 0.95oz Simcoe @ 10
  • 1.375oz Cascade @ 5
  • 1.375oz Cascade @ FO
  • 1.25oz Simcoe @ FO
  • 1.25oz Simcoe 3 Day Dry Hop
  • 1.25oz Cascade 3 Day Dry Hop
Like I said, I've already bought the malt, so I'm really looking for advice on the hop schedule. Do I need to move things around/switch quantities? I usually do a 60 minute boil, but for this recipe Magnum for 90 minutes really works. All in all, I'm looking to find a balance between Pine and Citrus flavor and aroma, but am questioning my additions due to the AA differences between Simcoe and Cascade.

In addition to the hops listed, I have 2oz of Farmhouse Brewing's Farmhouse Hop Blend http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/farmhouse-hop-blend-4-oz-2015-new-crop/. It's a blend of 30 hops (Simcoe, Cascade, Citra, Chinook, Jade, Galaxy, Super Pride...) that seem to do pretty well for dry hopping, so I could always move my Simcoe and Cascade dry hops to the boil.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back