Hop additions at 0min???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonHomeBrew

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I just got my 3rd kit in the mail today... it's Midwest Supplies' Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone extract kit. I'm modifying the recipe to follow the recipe that was posted on Northern Brewer that they got from the Sierra Nevada brew master. One question though. It calls for 2oz Cascade at 0min. Do the hops have much effect since it was added at time 0? Don't they end up getting strained out when the wort is added to the primary? Sorry for the n00bish question, but I don't want to waste any wonderful cascade. :)

Thanks fellow brothers of the brew!
BHB

What that means is that you will add the hops when you kill the flame - after 60 minutes of boiling. You will cool down the wort for as quickly as possible so they will be in there for some time, this type of hop addition provides aroma as opposed to bitterness or flavor. You will try to keep as much solids out of the fermentor as you can, but if they make it in its not a big deal.

They would be aroma hops to me. I don't filter my wort when it goes into the fermentor so I would just add them to fermentor to dry hop the beer. Which would do the same thing . But also at flame out they still will be heated till you start to cool down the wort. So they will be releasing the oils. Just follow the recipe and you should be fine. Also does the recipe call for dry hopping? This is just my small opinion. I and by far very low on here when it comes to experience let hope others will share there answers to. Good luck

Awesome... thanks guys. That definitely makes sense. It's going to take ~20 mins at least to chill the wort, so it will get all the goodness out then. I can't wait!

A 0 minute hop addition will add no bitterness and not much flavor, but it makes a great difference to the aroma. You ask " Don't they end up getting strained out when the wort is added to the primary?" and the answer is no. Cascades are used for flavor and aroma rather than bittering, and a 0 minute hop addition makes a fantastic difference to the hop presence.

-a.

You ask " Don't they end up getting strained out when the wort is added to the primary?" and the answer is no.

Hey ajf! So I shouldn't filter it out the pellets when I transfer to primary? Or should I leave them in there to kind of dry hop the beer?

Back