Hop addition / Cooling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbatten22

Reaction score
Newbie question.
Do you guys remove all hop bags and strain before starting with the immersion cooler?

Thanks for your response.

Very seldom do I use whole hops, when I do I leave the hop bags in until I remove the cooler and drain the wort.

I do not use a hop bag with pellet hops, I just leave most of them in through fermentation.

cfonnes said:
Very seldom do I use whole hops, when I do I leave the hop bags in until I remove the cooler and drain the wort.

I do not use a hop bag with pellet hops, I just leave most of them in through fermentation.

I'm using hop pellets.
So you suggest leave them in the whole time?

I'm using hop pellets.
So you suggest leave them in the whole time?

my suggestion would be to take the hop bags out before chilling but wait until your wort is cooled down to strain it, if you're going to strain it at all.

some do, some don't. it's a personal preference. I just dump everything into the fermenter

I leave mine in until the wort is getting cool. I take them out and drain from a colander so that I have the bags cleaned up by the time the wort is at pitching temperature. I bag even pellet hops when using more that about 1 ounce. I do this mostly because I don't want to deal with a large layer of trub after fermentation.

Added: I also squeeze most of the wort out of the bagged hops.

GrogNerd said:
my suggestion would be to take the hop bags out before chilling but wait until your wort is cooled down to strain it, if you're going to strain it at all.

some do, some don't. it's a personal preference. I just dump everything into the fermenter

So wait a second.
We plan on straining but when you say you dump everything into the fermenter are you saying you strain those bags. Then rack the wort into the fermenter, put those hop bags into the fermenter and then pitch your yeast?

So wait a second.
We plan on straining but when you say you dump everything into the fermenter are you saying you strain those bags. Then rack the wort into the fermenter, put those hop bags into the fermenter and then pitch your yeast?

I don't use bags, I just toss the pellets into the wort, then all that goes into the fermenter

If I were using bags, after they're drained/squeezed, I would throw them away. the reason for using them would be to keep the hops out of the fermenter

in my case, that's not a priority. for some, it is. you just need more practice to determine which you prefer

GrogNerd said:
I don't use bags, I just toss the pellets into the wort, then all that goes into the fermenter

If I were using bags, after they're drained/squeezed, I would throw them away. the reason for using them would be to keep the hops out of the fermenter

in my case, that's not a priority. for some, it is. you just need more practice to determine which you prefer

Excellent.
That makes sense.
Thank you

Back