Hooking up a commercial keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markwarren66

Reaction score
I have all of the equipment needed to keg my beer, just no beer yet. I'll be kegging a batch of apfelwein in a couple weeks, and should have my first 2 homebrews ready for kegging by the New Year.

So, in the meantime I want to have something to put in my nice shiny kegerator.

Other than a sankey tap, what do I need to connect a basic keg for mass consumption, say Miller. The sankeys look like they have a barbed end and a threaded end...but I'm not sure A) which is for gas/liquid, and B) what size adapter I need for the threaded end.

I have ball-lock disconnects that I will use for gas and liquid on my corny kegs.

Hope that's enough info - if there's anything else that would help, let me know.

Thanks

Edit: It appears that I have 5/16 ID gas line and 3/16 ID beer line. However, the disconnects seem to be 1/4" - I can't get the 3/16 on, and the 5/16 is too loose. Did I do something wrong here? I thought those were the right sizes for each line, but all of the disconnects I see are 1/4.

1 step forward, 2 steps back lately.

i had a huge problem with my tubing size when i started kegging, so i just made EVERYTHING 1/4" my Gas barbs on my co2 regulator where im assuming 5/16"???? they where HUGE compared to the line, it made absolutley NO sense to me LOL I carved out the inside of the 1/4" line enough and forced it on the barb and have never taken it off sense! but everything i use now is 1/4" i purchase all my shank barbs in 1/4" and for my manifold is 1/4"

i just recently purchased a comercial tap off ebay and had to purchase the top nut and shank the gas side(im assuimg gas side) is 1/4" so i had the LHBS hunt and search for the 1/4" shank and a nut large enough to fit the comercial keg tap, they ended up pulling it off of one of the comercial taps they had on the shelf!

best advice is to use one line size and stick to it, and hunt and peck for the right fittings/barbs online and LHBS, i know northern brewer sells alot of differnet size barbs etc.

Back