Hooked on Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewForMe

Reaction score
I have begun drinking my first batch of brew this week, It is a weizen (fermented 2 weeks, bottle conditioned for 2 weeks) It may be a little green still, but it tastes very good. My second batch, an Irish Red, is on its second week of fermenting and I cant wait to try this one. Today I went to my LHBS and picked up ingredients for batch #3, a Strawberry Blonde for SWMBO, (and me if its good). Since I didnt have anything to ferment it in, I also got my first (1st(woohoo!)) 6.5gallon glass carboy. Finally I will be able to watch it ferment! I realized I was hooked when I was excited about buying the stopper for this carboy. I also got my weldless fitting for my keggle so now i just need to save for a burner and I will be able to go with full boils. All these little things, yet it is so exciting.

When did you first realize homebrewing was addictive, was it a purchase, a special beer or something else. I'm curious if its normal to react like this, lemme know.

Thanks again to everyone here for all the great posts and keep em coming, I learn something new here everyday and I love it!

Just the process of making and trying to clone beers got me hooked.
I like cooking and brewing is along the same lines.
Let you beer primary minimum 3 weeks. It will be better.

Yeah, it is an addicting hobby. I think for me it was the satisfaction in my first brew that I made. Since then (11 years ago), I've only bought a handful of commercial brews, mainly Belgians. Homemade brew is so much better!

Oh, and you'll soon find it's not only addictive, it's expensive :)

I'm making the jump to all-grain this month and just bought 12 food grade buckets, bucket opener and rubber mallet, about 250 lbs of malt, a malt mill, piping and fittings for my cooler MLT, and I've convinced myself I need another backup propane tank for my burner. And despite the expense, I've been stoked each time I get home to find one of the items arrived on my front step!

Agreed I think I've spent close to $1,000 so far on a fairly basic All grain set up. That does include some kegs as well though ;-)
I get the most happiness out of giving it away to friends and listening to their feedback.

Yes, TwoGunz makes a very good point. Don't ever try to convince SWMBO that you are brewing your own in order to save money. It never works our that way once they look at the credit card bill.

Every month it seems I spend as much on equipment/upgrades as I do grain & yeast.

Ha, I just looked at the bottom of the page at the "Similar Threads"... do the same and that should pretty much solidify the answers you've already got. This truly is a great hobby.

TrainSafe said:
Yes, TwoGunz makes a very good point. Don't ever try to convince SWMBO that you are brewing your own in order to save money. It never works our that way once they look at the credit card bill.

Every month it seems I spend as much on equipment/upgrades as I do grain & yeast.

Worked for me. I justify by ingredient prices only. ;)

When I gathered my starter brewing gear, I explained to SWMBO that I planned on drinking ALOT of beer this summer (lol) so brewing my own would be a great way to save money. Deep down, I knew I wouldn't be saving anything. Maybe this makes me a bad person.

Jaybird said:
The very second I signed the lease on my building and opened up my own LHBS! May 26th 2009...

That's convenient. You didn't have to think about the question. Lol.

I was excited as an expectant father with my 1st batch of ale. Funny,cause I've been there 6 times makin bacon! Then,on NHB's day,my 2nd fermenter came in. We now can make 11G of brew at a time! Two different ales,that's exciting.:ban:

3rd batch did if for me. a nice red ale which just happened to be the first batch that went into the keezer! first 2 batches were decent but pulling your own pint sent me over the edge. haven't looked back.

cheers and congrats on the first batch!

Before even trying my first brew, I had the ingredients for 4, converted to AG, bought a chest freezer and everything to make a Keezer, including 3 kegs and perlick taps.

Yeah, my wife thinks I'm crazy, but so far, we are still married!

I'm having people over tonight to taste test my first beer, a Dry Hopped American Wheat. When I took the first sip out of the keg, I said to my wife: "I can't believe that I made this!"

Latest posts

Back