Hooked in Kansas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybrew66

Reaction score
Hello, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents as a newbie home brewer. I live just outside of Kansas City and have been an avid beer drinker/connoisseur most of my adult life. I always try the new Boulevard's as they are released, among other Micro and Craft brews. After trying a few home brews of some buddies, I thought I'd give it a try. I decided to start by reading the Palmer and Papazian books, so I would have a good understanding of what I was getting into.

I enlisted the help of my son, who's a senior in college here locally, and who loves any type of craft beer, the hoppier the better. I ordered some basic equipment from some of the on-line sites, along with an American Amber Ale extract kit. My son came over one Saturday, and we dove head 1st into the brewing process. We made sure we paid extra attention to cleaning and sanitizing everything, probably to excess! (as I was reading the books, and other sites and blogs, everyone says to clean, clean, clean)

We started outside on the patio, as I have a propane burner and an 8 gallon brew pot. We steeped our grains that came with kit according to the instructions, added the hops (kit came with pellets, and bags for the pellets) at the correct intervals, and then cooled the wort. I had decided early on to make my own wort chiller using stainless steel 3/8 inch tubing, and some compression fittings. I had also decided to buy a cheap submersible pump, and use ice chilled water in a cooler as my water to feed the wort chiller. I cannot say how easy this was to accomplish. We had the wort chilled to around 90 degrees in about 15 minutes. I had pre-filled my 6.5 gallon carboy with cold tap water. We proceeded to use a funnel w/screen to transfer the wort from the brew pot to the carboy. We had to stop every so often to clean the screen of all the sludge from the hops etc, but it seemed to work ok, just slow to clean the filter screen. We aerated the wort a bit by shaking the carboy and then took an OG reading, which came out 1.048 (just slightly lower than the kit specified of 1.054). The kit came with a Wyeast smack pack, which I "smacked" earlier that same morning, approx 4 hours before we started the boil. After the transfer to the carboy was complete, we added the yeast.

Stored carboy in my basement, which was a stable 66-68 degrees. After 48 hours the yeast really took off, nice large foam on top of the wort, etc. I let it ferment for just over 2 weeks (16 days to be exact). The foam was gone off the wort, and the airlock was not doing much if anything. Took another gravity reading at it was at 1.016 (the kit specified 1.014), so I decided we were close enough to start bottling.

We transferred the wort to the bottling bucket, on top of the priming sugar mixture. Gave it a nice gentle stirring, and then bottled. We ended up with 54 12 oz bottles. We then let the bottles sit, in the basement, at 66-68 degrees. My son was back over yesterday for Easter, and we decided to try our 1st brew! Even tho we knew it might be a bit early, we still wanted to "taste" the creation.

Our 1st indication was good, as when the bottle was opened, there was the "fizz" sound when opening a bottle. We poured into glasses, raised a toast, and then tasted. We were really AMAZED at how good it turned out! It had a nice, not over the top hoppiness to it, along with some caramel flavors, and very very smooth. When poured into the glass, it produced a nice head. It had a very nice amber/gold color to it, and was very clear. I was thinking it would be much cloudier. We decided to drink a couple more bottles ;-) as we were excited. I know this beer will most likely be even better the more it ages in the bottles.

My son and I are both now hooked on home brewing and amazed at all the support and interaction between members of sites like this one. As we progress and try other kits, I'm sure we'll run into questions. I will definitely be using this forum to gain more knowledge and information.

Next kit will be a hoppier IPA. Anyone have any good suggestions for our next extract kit to try?

ps: my wife even liked our 1st brew, and she doesn't care for beer that much, especially hoppy beer. She does like the MooseDrool, does anyone know if there are MooseDrool clone kits out there?

Thanks for listening. Cheers!

Welcome to the obsession. I'm down the road in Olathe and my oldest son goes to KU (from your user name it sounds like yours does as well?). My son is a hophead as well. It is addicting and if you want to see how bad it can get you should stop by our house sometime. You need to go check out Brew Lab in OP (8004 Foster St - about a block from the OP farmer's market) and chat with Tyler who is super nice/approachable/knowledgeable. We get our grains/yeast from him. He uses the store's all-grain system on days the store is closed to brew so I know he knows what he's doing. At some of the other places mentioned below you wonder if the employees have EVER brewed before or at least in the last couple of years.

Of course there's also Charlie here in Olathe (Homebrew Pro Shoppe) on Santa Fe which I go to for various things including White Labs yeast/carboys/co2 exchanges and Bacchus & Barleycorn up in Shawnee where I've picked up a couple small things. These stores are typical LHBS's but I consider Tyler a friend and usually go to him.

I'm sure if you look at some of the online stores you'll find an extract kit for Moose Drool. I believe Caribou Slobber is the same beer and have seen kits for it before. Not really up on all the kits as we skipped the extract step and the bottling step.

As far as local clubs go there's the KC Bier Meisters (www.kcbiermeisters.org) and the Lawrence Brewer's Guild (www.lawrencebrewers.org) both of which also have Facebook pages. I joined the Lawrence FB page but have never been to a meeting of either club and have not joined either yet.

Lots of info here on HBT and if you have a question believe me it's been asked multiple times before - easy to do a Google search of the site for stuff.

Again welcome!

Thanks Roadie, actually my son is finishing at UMKC (he started at KU), and I have a daughter at KState. My username is from my 1st name, Jay. I am a KU/KState fan at this point lol. I have actually been to BrewLabsKC in downtown OP. I live over in Prairie Village, so BrewLabs is not far at all. I started with the extract kits, just to see what I was getting into, and if I could produce good results. So far so good, but I would love to graduate up to doing all grain at some point. I love having my son involved, and he seems to be excited and enjoying it, and its something we can do together.

I would love to check out your setup sometime and to just "talk shop". I'm assuming you went all grain from the get go?

Thanks for all the info, and good to know there are others in the area passionate about making good beer! ;-)

Jay

Welcome to HomeBrewTalk and thanks for being a supporting member already! First of all, being a KU/K-State fan isnt possible ;)

There is a Moose Drool clone and I have brewed it. It turned out very good and was well received. Here is a link to that kit. The main tip I have for you in to not be afraid to ask questions. Everyone here is very helpful. The search function through google at the top of the page works wonders, but you have to be off the home page for it to work. The picture has circled what Im talking about. Just use the down arrow and it will pop up. Enjoy the obsession!

Untitled.jpg

Welcome to the "Grand Illusion, come on in and see what's happening. Pay your price, get your ticket for the show.."
Well, that wasn't what I really meant to say. I started with a "kit", and doing PM, that was a disaster, as at that time sparging didn't click and I must have sparged with 6 gallons or so.
Anyway, welcome to your new addiction. The people on this forum are so amazingly helpful and knowledgeable , I just couldn't believe it. Even after 2 years brewing, I still ask the members for help, as occasionally I still pull rookie errors.

Thanks Roadie, actually my son is finishing at UMKC (he started at KU), and I have a daughter at KState. My username is from my 1st name, Jay. I am a KU/KState fan at this point lol. I have actually been to BrewLabsKC in downtown OP. I live over in Prairie Village, so BrewLabs is not far at all. I started with the extract kits, just to see what I was getting into, and if I could produce good results. So far so good, but I would love to graduate up to doing all grain at some point. I love having my son involved, and he seems to be excited and enjoying it, and its something we can do together.

I would love to check out your setup sometime and to just "talk shop". I'm assuming you went all grain from the get go?

Thanks for all the info, and good to know there are others in the area passionate about making good beer! ;-)

Jay

Yes we started with all grain immediately and until our equipment arrived brewed multiple times at Brew Lab. My son is a huge help when brewing. Running the chiller and cleanup are his main tasks. You're welcome to come over anytime and check out our setup.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

Back