Honey Weizen & Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesink

Reaction score
I brewed this honey weizen from Northern Brewer about 10 days ago, using some yeast from an american wheat I brewed a couple weeks before the honey. The honey weizen directions call to transfer to secondary. I did some searches here and elsewhere and can't really get an idea of whether this is really necessary. I have the carboy sitting in a cooler filled with 60 degree water, and am thinking of just leaving it there for another 3 days, the pull it out and let it sit at room temp in the basement (about 62-66 degrees depending on weather) for another week, total 3 weeks in the primary, rather than rack to a secondary this weekend.

Is there really any need to transfer this to a secondary? I'm not adding anything to the beer and guess I don't mind if it's a little cloudy, but want it to be "to style". Thanks!

No need to transfer it to a secondary, 3 weeks in the primary should clarify it pretty much the same.

I brewed the same all grain recipe on the 17th of April and just racked it into a keg last night. It tasted great and I don't think you need to sit any more. Also, the style guidlines for a wheat beer say that the level of haze is somewhat variable. If it's an unfiltered wheat, it's almost always going to be cloudy, so why even bother letting sit inot a secondary if it will stay hazey. I'm almost positive the whole reason to put into a secondary is to clean it up a bit.

Wheat beer three weeks from brew to glass and I am drinking it. I need to agitate the keg every so often to suspend the yeast again. last batch the last 4 pints looked like a crystal Wiezen

Back