Honey sitting on bottom of jug.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L. Hunt

Reaction score
I made a batch of JAOM a few days ago (haven't made this for a while). I think I must not have shaken the batch well enough before I pitched my yeast. There is about an inch of honey sitting on the bottom of the fermenter (1 gallon). The fermenting was super slow for the first few days and has nearly stopped. It's usually pretty violent. Thinking about re-shaking the batch until the honey is dissolved and re-pitching yeast. Thoughts . . .

First few meads i made, i wasn't able to blend the honey completely into solution. This provided no ill effect, and it came out great!
However... I'm a believer in reintroducing oxygen on days 1-3, so shaking was a go for me.

I shook up my last jaom on the second day because it was seeming to separate it mixed and is doing fine. Maybe a gentle swirling to see if it will mix first before shaking

Just stir it/shake it. It won't hurt at all. I'm sure it would still ferment if not fully mixed in, but I would think it would ferment more quickly if it's properly mixed. Degassing/aeration is beneficial during primary anyways.

Thanks all. I feel a lot better about this batch. I shook it up, and am now much more confident that things will turn out OK.

Back