Honey sank to bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D0114

Reaction score
Hey guys, made my first 2 batches of mead today. I used 3lbs of honey to the 1 gal of spring water in a glass 1 gallon carboy. My issue is when I tried to shake it with the water, it really did not mix, the honey sank to the bottom and then I pitched the yeast. Is that ok, did I mess up? Will the yeast still go down to the bottom and eat up the honey? Any advice will help, thanks.

If it's not fermenting to hard yet, put a cap on your jug and shake it for 5 minutes, making sure to release any pressure if it builds up. check for that after the first shake or two, and make sure you don't let too much build up.

It'll be ok. Next time heat your 1/2 water up to about 100* and add honey. Shake it up and it will be much easier for it to dissolve. I love making gallon batches of mead.

Nice, I shook it up for like 5 min and it seemed to blend in. Been 4 hours since I initially made it, then shook it, so far no bubbles thru the airlock yet. Thanks.

It'll be ok. Next time heat your 1/2 water up to about 100* and add honey. Shake it up and it will be much easier for it to dissolve. I love making gallon batches of mead.
Ok I'll try that next time, ya the honey was really thick. I also did not use yeast energizer, I put in a small handful of raisins instead.

first of all, thanks for brewing mead! for future reference you can set your carboy in your sink with hot water pouring around it before you pitch your yeast, then shake the dude for a while and it should all smooth and disolve in. skol

Hey, is this normal? My raisins rose to the top and there's this foam floating atop the liquid... it is bubbling like it should, not sure if I should shake it gently or just leave it.

20170208_115158.jpg

Looks exactly like it should. Film on top is yeast and the raisins fill float because of the co2 bubbles clinging to them.

Looks exactly like it should. Film on top is yeast and the raisins fill float because of the co2 bubbles clinging to them.
Ok thanks, sorry for all the noob questions lol. Been watching videos and reading up on it as much as I can.

Back