Honey question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jascar

Reaction score
Wanna make a honey porter next batch wondering if costco honey any good? been reading it's not real honey because the filter out the pollen, maybe just buy some local honey if I can find someone selling it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Filtering and pasteurizing cut down on the aromatics. In a porter, I wouldn't expect them to really come through anyway, so use whatever is convenient. Were this a mead or braggot, I might suggest otherwise.

No matter what you get just make sure it's real honey and not honey flavored syrup. Made that mistake once and never again, bleh.

Adding honey to the wort doesn't always impart a clear honey flavor either. Because honey is a sugar, it is mostly fermented out during primary fermentation. If you're trying to get a honey flavor that is strong enough to stand up to the flavors of a porter, I may over kill it a little.

Honey malt is a good substitute for real honey to get a lingering honey flavor;you can mix it in with the other grains you are using, or steep it afterwards of this is all-grain. The best results that I've had with real honey have come when I add it late to the boil. Also, during bottling, I throw a squirt or two into each bottle along side the priming sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back