Weissbier Honey Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed this as my very first home brew. I did half a batch and had an OG 1.048. Sample tasted excellent. Looking forward to the final product. Thanks Reno for a fantastic brew!

It really is a great brew. Simple enough for the beginner all grain, and a quick turn around to.

*NOTE:

Partial Mash Version
2# German Pilsner Malt (2-row)
2# White Wheat Malt
2# Flaked Wheat
0.5# Honey Malt

2# Wheat Liquid Extract

Ok, so up till now I've been doing clone recipes out of a box from my LHBS where I steep grains in a muslin bag for 30 minutes at 155* before adding LME or DME and bringing it to a boil. It's really a "brew by numbers" type of approach where they even label the bags of each ingredient for you.

Am I to assume that I'd add the above in the same fashion and steep for 30 minutes before adding the 2#s of LME and bringing it to a boil?

Thanks for your interest!

From what I've heard on this thread, you can steep it but it leaves something to be desired. In order to get the beneficial characteristics of the wheat and honey malt you need to do a partial mash. The German Pilsner provides the proper enzymes to perform the mash.

To learn about this process, do some research here on HBT or read John Palmers How to Brew for free. Also books such as Charlie Papazians The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, an absolute staple that I'd say the majority of homebrewers have read.

If you want the "steep and add extract" recipe:
Extract Version
4# Wheat Liquid Extract
2.5# Pale Liquid Extract
12oz Crystal 20L

It's a close attempt at the original recipe in extract form but it's difficult to imitate the characteristics of certain grains.

If you have questions please don't hesitate to ask.

thanks for your response. I found this thread rather helpful already. Maybe this will be my first partial mash! I've been looking to do an agave wheat beer for a while now and thought this might bridge the gap until my favorite brewery loosens the recipe of the one I love.

So with your extract, you just steep the crystal grains then? Or am I missing something? Thanks again.

Have a Belgian IPA with sriracha I'm attempting next for a competition in NC...but going to give this one a go after that! My sister was asking about a lavender wheat, any thoughts on adding some lavender at the end of boil and/or in fermentation? I've checked a few threads and it seems to get paired with honey wheats most often

That's correct. Just steep it at around 150-160 for 20-30 minutes.

Have a Belgian IPA with sriracha I'm attempting next for a competition in NC...but going to give this one a go after that! My sister was asking about a lavender wheat, any thoughts on adding some lavender at the end of boil and/or in fermentation? I've checked a few threads and it seems to get paired with honey wheats most often
I've never used lavender so do some more research and go by what others say.

And you MUST let me know how the sriracha beer turns out.... or point me towards the thread you make for it.

Brewing this today!!

My LHBS didnt have the Flaked Wheat so I got the Unmalted Red wheat, my guess is that that will only affect the color of the beer. Suggestions?

And I think I will use 3.3lb of Liquid Extract instead of 2lb. Thoughts?

Red wheat will do just fine. From my understanding, flaked is red wheat.

Adding more extract will certainly make it stronger. You may want to add a bit more hops to keep it balanced.

Both red and white are available in flaked. I do agree, however, that the red wheat will be fine. I use it with a lot of my wheat brews to get just a little more color. Flavorwise, I can't a difference between red and white.

Adding more extract will certainly make it stronger. You may want to add a bit more hops to keep it balanced.

Thanks for help man! It smelled amaizing when i transfered to the fermenter!

I added the orange after flame out and the orange smell was definitely there!

I also read on the fermentis website that for beers with less than 5% ABV to use half package instead of the full package. Wonder if that will prevent the banana flavors.

I am interested in the Belgian IPA too

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

My batch using the extract recipe turned out fantastic. Three weeks in primary and two weeks in bottle makes this beer smooth as glass. Gets more drinkable by the day but it goes too fast to age any longer! Great brew that I will make repeatedly. Thanks again, Reno, for a great recipe.

Tried the Sam Adams seasonal Cold Snap this weekend and thought it tasted a lot like the all grain version of this I made last year.
I'm also seeing a lot more wheat beers surfacing now that are brewed with orange peel and coriander.
Wondering if anyone tried adding coriander to this recipe and can tell us how that worked out

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

REALLYgood brew!!! Thanks a lot guys!!!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396436587.798545.jpg

Great photo! Looks quite a bit darker than mine usually comes out but that is most certainly not a bad thing. Thanks for showing your work!

I recently brewed this up exactly as written in the original post. Very quaff-able and a definite crowd-pleaser among our friends. My sister enjoyed it so much that she asked me to brew it for her upcoming wedding!

Thanks for the recipe, Reno!

I brewed this on the 9th, and it is still bubbling away in the primary - 1 bubble every 10 seconds or so. I haven't taken a gravity sample since pitching.

Should I rack it into the keg now or wait for it to stop bubbling? OP says primary for 7 days, its been 8 so far for me.

Smells great, can't wait to try it!

Air lock bubbles aren't a very good indication of fermentation being complete. And the 7 days is more like a guideline or lower limit than a necessity. Take a reading when you get a chance and again a day or two later. Wait a couple days will also allow the yeast to flocculate more, giving you a cleaner rack into the keg.

I'm dead-on-my-feet tired and I'm not sure if this post makes any sense. I'm sorry if it doesn't :mug:

Made this with sweet orange peel and orange blossom honey. Looking forward to the outcome! OG was around 1056, pitched two packages of white labs american wheat.

Hey Reno_eNVy,
I have a question about mash temp and FG. The recipes shows a mash temp of 154 and a FG of 1.008. How do you get it that low with that high of a mash temp? When I plug the recipe into Beersmith it shows the 1.045OG, but an anticpated FG of 1.014. It seems getting much lower with a mash temp of 154 seems unlikely. Is there something I am missing here?

Hey Reno_eNVy,
I have a question about mash temp and FG. The recipes shows a mash temp of 154 and a FG of 1.008. How do you get it that low with that high of a mash temp? When I plug the recipe into Beersmith it shows the 1.045OG, but an anticpated FG of 1.014. It seems getting much lower with a mash temp of 154 seems unlikely. Is there something I am missing here?

That's just how it comes out in my system. Beersmith has told me many things that don't come out the same. But if you'd rather, go with 152.

Thanks Reno.
I brewed this up last night and went with 152. We see how it turns out. I bumped up the Honey Malt to 1lbs. I hope it is not too much.
I have a family fuction with about 30 people coming over on May 10th and this will be one of my 3 taps and most likely to work for the BMCers in the crowd :)

Nice. And the beer will be pretty much perfect by then. To keep it clean and to keep the orange flavor fresh I'd recommend crashing or racking it at around day 10 in the fermentation vessel. And that should give you ample time to carbonate before the function.

Good luck! Thanks for trying this recipe. :mug:

Thanks, That is my plan in terms of the timing. This is my second time doing this brew. My first was last year when I was a total noob. At that point I was only doing 2.5 G batches and I had also choose to leave out the orange. This time it was the full 5 gallons and with the orange. I am looking forward to drinking this one.

I will check in on the 11th and let you know what my guests think of this beer.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This beer just gets better with time :)
Had another bottle this weekend and it was amazing!!

About to brew this again for my wedding rehearsal event. Woot

Thanks, That is my plan in terms of the timing. This is my second time doing this brew. My first was last year when I was a total noob. At that point I was only doing 2.5 G batches and I had also choose to leave out the orange. This time it was the full 5 gallons and with the orange. I am looking forward to drinking this one.

I will check in on the 11th and let you know what my guests think of this beer.

Cheers

The beer turned out well, but unexpectedly many of my guests opted for my coconut stout (which I don't even like). But a few had this and enjoyed it as did I. in fact, as I am now!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400110789.140856.jpg

Thanks for the recipe, the rest of this will not last long.

Just tasted the hydro sample before bottling and what a great beer. I could of had a few pints of the non carbed /warm beer and enjoyed it. Nice slight sweet tasted with just a touch of orange on the back end.

Just got done brewing this today. Plan on serving it at my 4th of July celebration. If the final product is anything like the intial taste and aroma, this will be a hit at the party. I am very excited to see how this turns out!! :D

I've been looking for a recipe just like this one. I want a change of pace from my normal brews which are a bit heavier and darker than wheat ales. I also love honey in every batch I've used it in so far. This will be a great football beer I believe!

Back