Honey Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4allMI

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a semi experienced brewer but have not done an all grain batch yet since I am limited on equipment and space. I am thinking of doing an easy extract/specialty grain wheat beer using liberty and citra hops. I was thinking of using Honey Malt for added sweetness and flavor (.5lb steeped) My question is, can this type of malt be steeped by itself or does it have to be mashed with other grains?

It does have enough enzymes to self-convert so a mini-mash is in order. Diastatic power is on the order of 50 or so, conversion requires 35 so it will go but don't expect it to convert any adjuncts.

It does have enough enzymes to self-convert so a mini-mash is in order. Diastatic power is on the order of 50 or so, conversion requires 35 so it will go but don't expect it to convert any adjuncts.

I guess I am not going to fermentables, mainly flavor and smoothness of the beer. Steeping should do the trick with what I am expecting from this malt?

I have used Gambrinus Honey Malt steeped. I used 1# with LME/DME extract 5 gallon batch to create a Honey Ale without honey. And it does a great job.

It is a big hit with everyone that tries it. Even the hop lovers give it good marks. On the sweet side, so don't over do the amount.

If you steep at 155 you basically mashed it so it's just a matter of semantics. It is a starch-containing grain so you do need to pay at least a passing homage to a mash.

I have used Gambrinus Honey Malt steeped. I used 1# with LME/DME extract 5 gallon batch to create a Honey Ale without honey. And it does a great job.

It is a big hit with everyone that tries it. Even the hop lovers give it good marks. On the sweet side, so don't over do the amount.

That sounds like a great beer... I am a huge hop head myself, but want to brew a wheat beer with some character. 8oz should be plenty for what I am looking for? I am using Citra hops as well...

That depends on what you are after.
I have been after a honey wheat similar to Blue Moon's version, and I've used ~1/2 lb of honey malt plus honey, and get a minor honey taste. I have since upped the honey malt to 1 1/2 lbs, but it is fermenting, so I cannot attest to what the change has done, but I've been told by someone here who stated 2 lbs is in order if you want serious honey flavor.

I put .5# in an American Amber kit that I made for my first batch. After a lot of research, this stuff is pretty potent so I will post back this weekend on how it affected it.

Back