Honey Calculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solo1013

Reaction score
I'm starting to plan for my first mead. I am planning on using orange blossom honey and Malkore's (AOD) recipe.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/malkores-not-so-ancient-orange-mead-50201/

I plan on using Wyeast 4184 sweet mead yeast. This yeast typically gets to about 11% abv. before the yeasties die off according to the research I've done.

I'm trying to scale the batch up to 5 gallons. What is the best way to calculate the amount of honey to use so that I can get to the 11% abv. and leave 1-3% residual sugar?

Use hightest's spreadsheet in the FAQ sticky.

Punch in volume of water and keep adding honey till you get to 11%, then you have a base, then work from there.

Unfortunately, yeast science isn't quite as predictable and the yeast will do whatever they want. Many have had trouble using this particular one.

Might want to just consider adding enough to take it right around 11% then backsweeten at the end instead of trying to guess at it up front.

Thanks for the reply. I will play around with the spreadsheet before I make any decisions on the mead. After fermentation completes and I campden and k-sorbate, do most people backsweeten with the same honey used for the must?

I usually do, but there is no requirment that you do so. The mead is likely to retain a lot of the character of whatever honey is added after fermentation is over as those aromatics don't get scrubbed off during fermentation. If you have some other honey that you want to use to add some different character, that will certainly do it.

Medsen

I would stick to the same honey, but if you wanted, for example, to have the flavour of buckwheat honey but didn't use buckwheat you vary it up backsweetening with buckwheat to get some of the notes from buckwheat. It won't be as prevalent, but it apparently does work. I've never used that method myself though.

Back