Honey Ale with a twist(To do or not to do)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEERBUILDER

Reaction score
I recieved a 2.5 liter oak barrel for Christmas with the intent to age some whiskey in it.

My thought was than what was my next brew.

It came to me, a honey ale was the next brew. It has been a while since I brewed one so why not give it a shot. The next thought was what whiskey to purchase for my barrel, I had tried the new Honey Jack recently and figured that would work.

My plan is to age the Honey Jack in the barrel for a period of roughly two months just to see if it changed the characteristics at all. Once my Honey ale is done in the secondary I will than proceed to transfer roughly 2 liters into the Oak Barrel and let age for approximately 1 month to see how it all pans out. My plan may come down with a screeching halt and the beer may turn out absolutely horrible or it may turn out well.

Any thoughts, My only problem is this(it may not be a problem at all) I bottle all my beer, I don't have a kegging system so I carbonate the normal way with corn sugar. If I age my beer in the barrel will there be enough yeast activity to prime the bottles so I have carbonated beer. Is this plan any good.

Thanks

Back