Homemade PBW Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing some comparisons, I see PBW in 8lb jugs for $53. That's $0.42/oz. Not too much higher than @Horseflesh DIY batch at $0.33/oz.

Then I saw this on Amazon ($0.35/oz).........

Brewery Detergent

1692232247819.png

That's an interesting find! And look at the price on a 4 pack...

1692232177271.png

Wait, that doesn't seem right, let's do the math... OK, the costs on some of the other options are messed up. 8 lb x 4 is 512 oz. Cost per oz is therefore... $0.26. Not 7 cents!

The 2x 8lb pack is also off, but the reality is better than the $0.59 shown at $0.29/oz.

This one is correct though:
1692232492840.png

It looks like homemade PBW isn't going to be a major deal until you get close to $2/lb for the bulk sodium percarbonate. That cuts the price almost in half compared to the commercial versions. But to get there you need to buy a ridiculous amount of chemicals.

I may buy the 2x 8lb pack of this stuff.

That's an interesting find! And look at the price on a 4 pack...

View attachment 827251

Wait, that doesn't seem right, let's do the math... OK, the costs on some of the other options are messed up. 8 lb x 4 is 512 oz. Cost per oz is therefore... $0.26. Not 7 cents!

The 2x 8lb pack is also off, but the reality is better than the $0.59 shown at $0.29/oz.

This one is correct though:
View attachment 827253

It looks like homemade PBW isn't going to be a major deal until you get close to $2/lb for the bulk sodium percarbonate. That cuts the price almost in half compared to the commercial versions. But to get there you need to buy a ridiculous amount of chemicals.

I may buy the 2x 8lb pack of this stuff.

Post your thoughts after use please.

Yeah, some of the descriptions of actual PBW is off too. One had it at $3.31/oz and the jug was listed as 8L instead of 8lbs. Amazon for you. I see Active Element also has a no rinse sanitizer like Star San, but I only see it in 5 gallon buckets.

I may give the brewery detergent a try too.

My mix whick seems to works very well is :

75gm Sodium percarbonate
35gm Sodium metasilicate
5gm EDTA

What ratio did you use for the three ingredients. Yeah, I could go back and look, but I'm sure others have used different percentages of each ingredient in their mixes. I'm about out of my homemade sauce and may try a different mix and/or brand. I've got some 7th left, so it would be a matter of just adding the eco and the super washing soda (Arm & Hammer?).
50% sodium percarbonate Ecogeeks

25% sodium carbonate Arm & Hammer super washing soda

25% 7th Generation automatic dishwasher detergent

This simple formula works great, is easily sourced and rinses easily. I've been really happy with it.

I think PBW also has sodium carbonate and salt in it. Not just sodium percarbonate and sodium metasilicate. According to the MSDS anyway,

Checked my costing sodium metasilicate was 5.3 dollars per kg ( 2.2 lb)
Sodium percarbonate per kg 6 dollars.
So still cheaper to make it for me.

I am just about out of my homemade mix which used all oxi boost and TSP. Both products are difficult to source, I was getting the TSP at Lowes and the All at Big Lots. Lowes finally went to TSP-free in the paint section. I was reluctant to reread the thread yet again as the DIY formula evolves with product changes. I started to track down the amount of sodium percarbonate in oxiclean to make a homemade oxiclean. The percentages varied quite a bit for ingredients from webpage to webpage. Most sites had the sodium percarbonate at 50-70% and sodium carbonate most of the rest. However, I got the SDS for Oxiclean Versatile and here is the chart
1692664694682.png
Disodium carbonate is another name for sodium carbonate which is soda wash. Only about 1/3 sodium percarbonate.
Five Star has the safety data sheets on their webpage for their products. PBW powder (low foam). Slightly less sodium percarbonate than Oxiclean.
1692664965013.png

What is the sodium metisilicate for and why are some using so much of it?
What was the TSP for originally?
I will reread to see but if someone knows feel free to post please.

Hmmm I was just saving that SDS for the PBS low foam from their website and see that I had an SDS for PBW which doesn't say low foam and that one has the higher amount of sodium metasilicate. I looked up sodium metasilicate earlier but didn't find much hence my question. I do see why some may use the higher percentage now but what it is for I still don't understand.
1692665538936.png

I used 70/30 percabonate/metasilicate simply because others who did it first reported good results that way. I did not like the look of recipes that added salt or especially citric acid, as acid interferes with the pH-lowering properties we want.

I do not recall seeing the percentage breakdowns you posted earlier in the thread. In fact when I looked for an SDS the other day, I found a document that listed the roles for the chemicals--but not the percentages.

Soda ash is certainly cheaper than sodium percarbonate ($0.17/oz after a quick search). If you can cut the more expensive sodium percarbonate with that and keep effectiveness, great. I'm certainly open to changing the recipe.

Here's a quick look at using equal parts carbonate and percarbonate... Plus EDTA. We know it's in the original. (Could the carbonate/percarbonate ratio be better? Probably, this is just a guess.)

1692668559084.png

But... The "Brewery Detergent" linked before is about the same price ... And presumably, works at least as well as a homemade version.

Interestingly Brewery Detergent does not use EDTA though. (SDS link)

1692668482424.png

I decided to try an 8 lb jar of Brewery Detergent. It's not the best cost per oz but it's not too expensive either. If I like it after I use it for a while, I'll stock up with one of the more economical size options. Unless I decide to buy fifty pound sacks of sodium percarbonate to save myself a few bucks in the long run... Which still might happen. :)

Attachments

• 1692667970917.png
    1692667970917.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
Well I went and reread some of the beginning and some of the end. The sodium metasilicate is TSP90, a base, removes fatty acids is what was posted. And I see also that people tried TSP instead of TSP90. I was originally using TSP90 but when I bought my last bulk buy of All oxi boost, I remember I reread the begining of the thread and switched to TSP due to cost. It works fine too but now harder to find. The reason I had the Oxiclean Versatile SDS was I saw that it was scent free, dye free, and it can be bought in 30 lb boxes for $57-$60 in the US, allegedly shipped so $1.90-$2 a pound. The formula is near the same as PBW low foam, this Oxiclean actually had more sodium percarbonate. If you tossed in a little TSP90, you'd hit the 1-3%. I don't have hard water so I don't need anything else.
I can still get the All oxi boost at Big Lots when they have it for $5.99 for 52 ounces so $1.84/lb but I haven't looked up its SDS.

Last edited:
Unless it is not 100% sodium carbonate, I can get Arm and Hammer washing soda at Rural KIng for $3.99 for 55 ounces which is $0.073/ounce and $4.76 for the same at Walmart which is $0.087 ounce.

Slight change in the SDS for the Oxiclean Versatile in 2020 vs the one I posted earlier which was from 2017. Not much at all, a little more sodium percarbonate.
1692669927382.png
I will attach the pdf.

Attachments

• SDS Oxiclean Versatile 2020.pdf
    463.3 KB · Views: 0
Unless it is not 100% sodium carbonate, I can get Arm and Hammer washing soda at Rural KIng for $3.99 for 55 ounces which is $0.073/ounce and $4.76 for the same at Walmart which is $0.087 ounce.

Looks good to me! I was just checking the bulk chemical name on Amazon first out of habit. The A&H is $0.08/oz on Amazon too.

The OxiClean Versatile you mentioned looks like a good base product also.

If we could find a cheap sodium metasilicate we'd be back in business.

Now that I am reminded of what it is, I will look. I googled sodium metasilicate a couple times earlier and I didn't see it reference TSP90.

I've been using regular TSP, and I just found Sunnyside brand at Home Depot for $16.01 for 6 lbs. ($0.167/ounce) Says free shipping....

Now that I am reminded of what it is, I will look. I googled sodium metasilicate a couple times earlier and I didn't see it reference TSP90.

I've been using regular TSP, and I just found Sunnyside brand at Home Depot for $16.01 for 6 lbs. ($0.167/ounce) Says free shipping....
TSP/90 **is** sodium metasilicate. It was used in this DIY PBW because PBW listed sodium metasilicate. But good luck finding it. Even just the sodium metasilicate pentahydride you used to be able to find on Amazon/Ebay has kinda dried up, or gotten prohibitively expensive.

I'm glad that TSP works, as I can still find that. I have no idea what the Sunnyside TSP substitute is tho.

I'm glad that TSP works, as I can still find that.
TSP/90 is a non-phosphate substitute for TSP, which was "banned" for ecological reasons, back in the days (70s, 80s?).

Yes, you can use (old fashioned) TSP as if it were TSP/90 for making PBW or other cleaning purposes, such as pre-paint degreaser, etc. :)

I also found TSP/90 pricing has gone up quite a bit over the past few years.

I'm still able to get sodium metasilicate from the pool and chemical supplies shop. They also sell the Sodium Percarbonate and EDTA.

lol! I would not have shelf room for it 😁
Actually, is there a shelf life associated with PBW?
I'd think moisture ingress could be an eventual problem if one kept it around for a hella long time (like using up 50 pounds at home!)

Cheers!

TSP/90 **is** sodium metasilicate. It was used in this DIY PBW because PBW listed sodium metasilicate. But good luck finding it. Even just the sodium metasilicate pentahydride you used to be able to find on Amazon/Ebay has kinda dried up, or gotten prohibitively expensive.

I'm glad that TSP works, as I can still find that. I have no idea what the Sunnyside TSP substitute is tho.
When I wrote what you quoted I was up to speed on them being the same. I had forgotten prior to that though and had been looking up sodium metasilicate but hadn't seen any references to TSP90 when searching on Google. I was thinking out loud a bit until Post 972. As far as the sodium metasilicate, I was wondering what it does as a chemical in the real PBW. Somewhere in the thread it is posted that sodium metasilicate is a base and removes fatty acids but I don't know enough about chemistry to understand why that might be important for a powdered brewery wash. I've always had more of an affinitiy for acid than bases. There's only a small percentage (1-3%) of sodium metasilicate in the SDS for the PBW liquid and the PBW powder at the five star links. I just don't know what it's for in the real PBW formula.

The Sunnyside TSP I linked to is actual Trisodium Phosphate, just another inexpensive source. It's also very basic so perhaps that's the important chemical property for the inclusion of the sodium metasilicate?

Just go for the fifty pound bucket at RiteBrew, $210.
The 30 lb box of Oxyclean Versatilie is only $53.86 at Home Depot. It has slightly more sodium percarbonate (good). I think it just needs a little sodium metasilicate (1-3%) to be a very close approximation to PBW. It just needs a little bit of sodium metasilicate (or perhaps just some a little TSP), a half ounce or less per pound Oxyclean Versatile. That's $1.80 lb. + a little bit for the sodium metasilicate (or perhaps the TSP).

The 30 lb box of Oxyclean Versatilie is only $53.86 at Home Depot. It has slightly more sodium percarbonate (good). I think it just needs a little sodium metasilicate (1-3%) to be a very close approximation to PBW. It just needs a little bit of sodium metasilicate (or perhaps just some a little TSP), a half ounce or less per pound Oxyclean Versatile. That's $1.80 lb. + a little bit for the sodium metasilicate (or perhaps the TSP).
I've been looking for a local source or free shipping on the BIG boxes of Oxy. Is the Versa stuff without the fragrance? So far the ones I have seen do have it.

Versa Free doesn't.

Last edited:
I've been looking for a local source or free shipping on the BIG boxes of Oxy. Is the Versa stuff without the fragrance? So far the ones I have seen do have it.

Versa Free doesn't.
Yes at the HD link it says this: Google Shopping says this, but most of the links after that are list regular scented at the vendor and don't mention babies.
Safe and gentle, maximum-strength stain removal. Use as a presoak or as laundry detergent booster. Perfume, dye and chlorine-free. Formulated with babies' sensitive skin in mind.

However, Oxiclean's site says there are regular and scent free versions of Oxiclean Versatile, so be careful if ordering somewhere else maybe. The shipping is free at HD as well and I just ordered a box. I will report back on Thursday!

Last edited:
Actually, the link I posted #972 has the baby quote. Then I clicked the Home Depot link from there. Then I went down and read the Q & A. One person says no scent and one says it has blue crystals in it with a picture. Sorry I think I am mistaken.

Actually, the link I posted #972 has the baby quote. Then I clicked the Home Depot link from there. Then I went down and read the Q & A. One person says no scent and one says it has blue crystals in it with a picture. Sorry I think I am mistaken.
I did some searching too and it appears there's fragrance in those 30 pound boxes. I looked at several spots and your recent Home Depot and they all appear to be the same cardboard box with the black label.

Let me know if you find something different. It shouldn't be this hard.

I'd hate to irritate my babies bottom with fragrance.

Thanks for your posts!

There's only a small percentage (1-3%) of sodium metasilicate in the SDS for the PBW liquid and the PBW powder at the five star links. I just don't know what it's for in the real PBW formula.
AFAIK, PBW is, or used to be, ~70% Sodium PerCarbonate (Oxygen component in Oxiclean) and ~30% Sodium MetaSilicate (TSP/90) with a little bit of EDTA added.

Oxiclean itself is usually a mixture of Sodium PerCarbonate and Sodium Carbonate (washing soda). The better "brands" tend to have a larger PerCarbonate percentage, but I've never seen it much higher than 50%.

Once the PerCarbonate gives up its loosely bound oxygen it becomes washing soda.

Washing soda can be bought in 4-20 pound boxes (Walmart, grocery stores, etc.). It's quite cheap and the major component in laundry powders.

When I wrote what you quoted I was up to speed on them being the same. I had forgotten prior to that though and had been looking up sodium metasilicate but hadn't seen any references to TSP90 when searching on Google. I was thinking out loud a bit until Post 972. As far as the sodium metasilicate, I was wondering what it does as a chemical in the real PBW. Somewhere in the thread it is posted that sodium metasilicate is a base and removes fatty acids but I don't know enough about chemistry to understand why that might be important for a powdered brewery wash. I've always had more of an affinitiy for acid than bases. There's only a small percentage (1-3%) of sodium metasilicate in the SDS for the PBW liquid and the PBW powder at the five star links. I just don't know what it's for in the real PBW formula.

The Sunnyside TSP I linked to is actual Trisodium Phosphate, just another inexpensive source. It's also very basic so perhaps that's the important chemical property for the inclusion of the sodium metasilicate?

AFAIK from personal experience, using only the sodium percarbonate in warm water will do some cleaning, fairly good. This occurred on the occasion of my being out of TSP/90. The kegs needed a little scrubbing help afterwards for the krausen ring. With the addition of the degreasing sodium metasilicate with the sodium percarbonate, I have never ever had to scrub a keg.

I did some searching too and it appears there's fragrance in those 30 pound boxes. I looked at several spots and your recent Home Depot and they all appear to be the same cardboard box with the black label.

Let me know if you find something different. It shouldn't be this hard.

I'd hate to irritate my babies bottom with fragrance.

Thanks for your posts!
YW. Yeah, annoying that Google page says fragrance free but every link led to that box like you say except perhaps the Staples page. But I don't have one local to bring it back or pick up from.
AFAIK, PBW is, or used to be, ~70% Sodium PerCarbonate (Oxygen component in Oxiclean) and ~30% Sodium MetaSilicate (TSP/90) with a little bit of EDTA added.

Oxiclean itself is usually a mixture of Sodium PerCarbonate and Sodium Carbonate (washing soda). The better "brands" tend to have a larger PerCarbonate percentage, but I've never seen it much higher than 50%.

Once the PerCarbonate gives up its loosely bound oxygen it becomes washing soda.

Washing soda can be bought in 4-20 pound boxes (Walmart, grocery stores, etc.). It's quite cheap and the major component in laundry powders.
So a few posts I linked to the SDS pages for multiple 5 star products. The PBW powder which adds low suds after the name has a lower % than 70. Also there's a liquid version, similar % as low suds. I don't know if the dry low suds is a different product than regular offering at the LHBS.
AFAIK from personal experience, using only the sodium percarbonate in warm water will do some cleaning, fairly good. This occurred on the occasion of my being out of TSP/90. The kegs needed a little scrubbing help afterwards for the krausen ring. With the addition of the degreasing sodium metasilicate with the sodium percarbonate, I have never ever had to scrub a keg.
For keg and carboy washing I use my homemade version, 70/30, All free and clear 70% and 30% TSP90 or TSP as I mentioned I switched by accident. I have a DIY carboy/keg washer. I have to use less than suggested for both kegs carboys because it foams quite a bit and traps suds when cleaning carboys. Krusty krausen rings sometimes leave a little buildup but it's mostly the trapped suds interfering in my opinion. Kegs do okay. I think I will try them separate just to see which causes the foaming. I end up soaking the carboys a second time and brushing or just not using the keg washer at all because I am worried of missing just a little something and getting an infection.

It appears everyone has their own recipe that works well for their needs and saves them money. I'm going to stick with PBW and the other cleaners I use.

I appreciate the ideas everyone has shared. For now I'm going to file the recipes away for future reference.

Thanks for sharing!

It's been awhile since any activity on this subject. For what it's worth Amazon has ten bucks off a purchase if three tubs of oxiclean, fragrance free, versatile. It was listed on Homebrew finds and sure enough it was on Amazon. That was today, 11/14.

What's the latest one here? I'm using oxyclean from a German company (Heitmann - Reine Sauerstoffbleiche) but I have residue afterwards. Like a white powder after drying. The powder can only be solved in an acidic solution and I'm a bit tired of the vinegar rinse after the soaking.

My guess is, that it has something to do with minerals in the water that fall out of solution.

What do you guys think would be the best fix for this? I'm trying to avoid EDTA, as it's a big problem in the water later on. Not biodegradable and it continues doing it's thing further down the line in the water bodies it gets into.

Does the additional detergent do the trick?

Edit: looks like trisodium phosphate should do it? That would be two ingredients, this one plus sodium percarbonate. Both can be sourced fairly cheaply online here in Germany.

Any comments on this idea,?

Last edited:
I use Oxi Scent-Free frequently for pre-soak stubborn gunk, and add a healthy squeeze of 7th Generation (plant based) detergent, either liquid or dry granules, which is a strong surfactant that lifts and suspends the solids for a simple cleaning rinse. I then follow up with a small amount of PBW, if necessary, and then sanitize with Star San.

Oxi + TSP works well for getting rid of the gunk, but adding a surfactant detergent reduces residue from the percarbonates.

I used Oxiclean in my keg and bucket washer and man did it foam up. Is there a better way? The Oxiclean is so much less expensive, but I really like how the washer get all the insides of the keg and bucket.

Also, if someone could simplify the recipe I would appreciate it. I looked at the charts and stuff and man I was confused. Simple minded I guess. LOL. Anyway, thanks for the info and this thread. Lot's of good stuff here.

I used Oxiclean in my keg and bucket washer and man did it foam up. Is there a better way? The Oxiclean is so much less expensive, but I really like how the washer get all the insides of the keg and bucket.

Also, if someone could simplify the recipe I would appreciate it. I looked at the charts and stuff and man I was confused. Simple minded I guess. LOL. Anyway, thanks for the info and this thread. Lot's of good stuff here.
The original is 70% sodium percarbonate, 30% sodium triphosphate plus a bit of EDTA. The sodium triphosphate must be substituted in some countries but there are alternatives listed above.

Another version skips the EDTA and adds some detergent.

Last edited:
I use the 2:1 sodium percarbonate and sodium metasilicate, sourced via ebay or amazon, but prices in the last 3 years have exploded
I have soft water, and do not have residue

Back