Homemade Mash tun and a new brew pot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slantedbolt

Reaction score
Excited about this guys. I just made my own mash tun and got a new brew pot for my first all grain brew! What do you think about?

img1376.jpg

img1378.jpg

img1377p.jpg

img1379p.jpg

Make sure to have fun and not get discouraged if anything goes wrong the first time!

I switched from a SS Braid to a copper manifold and saw a 5% jump in efficiency. That set up will work great, I know I made a lot of great beers with a braid but if you decide you want to improve efficiency that is one of the first things to look at. That said it looks great, you will have plenty of room for big brews in that thing. You should do something over the top to break it in.

That clean won't last long... :D

AG brew days are only longer due to your mash time... Get a good way to heat your water up (faster) and you'll have shorter AG brew days...

Did a batch last night that was under 5 hours from first flame to pitched yeast. That was with a 90 minute mash too. Got to LOVE wort chillers. :D

So I am boiling 3/4 full of water to oxidize the pot like I am suppose to... I have a cheap stainless steel pot that is FAR to small for AG. Is the pot suppose to turn black on the inside? If not, WTF?!

slantedbolt said:
So I am boiling 3/4 full of water to oxidize the pot like I am suppose to... I have a cheap stainless steel pot that is FAR to small for AG. Is the pot suppose to turn black on the inside? If not, WTF?!

My aluminum pot turned kind of brass with the oxidization layer. Is it really black? Pic?

I think how dark it turns depends on the minerals in your water. My first aluminum port (32 quarts) turned really dark... My 60 quart, not so dark... I did the 32 quart at home, the 60 in another town.

Boil as much water as you can in it. Go above the level you think you ever might put brew in it to. So if it's a 32 quart, and your stove can get it up to a boil, go damned close to the lip... Just put the lid on it so that you get it to a boil easier.

I would boil for 30-60 minutes then let it cool some before dumping... Of course, if the pot has a ball valve fitting, draining will be far easier. :rockin:

My aluminum pot turned kind of brass with the oxidization layer. Is it really black? Pic?

Its still boiling, but its not really black, just blackish. I just added more water though. Now its about 1 inch from the top.

Thanks for the help as always guys. I will make sure that after I brew sunday, that I will post an update on my first AG. Its a Bavarian Hefe

Mine wasn't black the first time, but it was dark... More like a dark charcoal gray, I suppose... Just be sure to not scrub it away when you wash it... If you're careful, you can use a very mild scrub sponge to gently get the tough bits off of the inside of the pot... I would just use really hot water to clean it. Otherwise a soapy sponge and good rinse is about all you'll need...

After several more batches, it might get darker... Don't fear the darkness. :rockin:

Mine wasn't black the first time, but it was dark... More like a dark charcoal gray, I suppose... Just be sure to not scrub it away when you wash it... If you're careful, you can use a very mild scrub sponge to gently get the tough bits off of the inside of the pot... I would just use really hot water to clean it. Otherwise a soapy sponge and good rinse is about all you'll need...

After several more batches, it might get darker... Don't fear the darkness. :rockin:

Thank you for all your help man!

So after about 2 hours worth of boiling, I have a pot that is half pretty dark and the top half is not. I started with half a pan, then added water almost up to the top and kept boiling. The dark area is from the first boil. but nothing happened with the top half. I guess just to be safe, I can do the 10 minute @ 350F bit and assume that I am good to go. Any thoughts?

Here's what my aluminum brew kettle looks like... I've put a few batches through it, and have just been washing it enough to get the crap off the sides, and then cleaning it... So if any scrubbing is done, it's done gently, with a very MILD scrubbing sponge (one that's been used enough so that it won't remove the conditioning)...

3070-nicely-conditioned-al-kettle.jpg

Back