Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tweaking the same recipe from last week. A little less water and a higher proportion of bread flour. Best oven spring I've gotten so far.

I am quite envious. What is your hydration? How do you score your loaf ? It looks too perfect.

I am quite envious. What is your hydration? How do you score your loaf ? It looks too perfect.

It took a while to get to that point, trust me. The dutch oven definitely makes up for some flaws, but getting the batard shape to work has been a struggle. They kept losing shape coming out of the banneton and winding up totally flat.

This latest batch of dough was 80% hydration (down from 85%), 85% KA Bread Flour/10% Whole Wheat/5% Wholegrain Rye, 20 hr cold proof in the fridge (and straight into the oven from fridge). I scored this batch with a regular razor blade - I had been using a bread lame with a flexible razor blade with limited success. I think the biggest thing was a stiffer dough. It was just tough to score a wetter dough. Easier to score a stiffer, cold dough. To get the ear, you need to make a deep cut with a shallow angle (maybe 20 degrees off the surface of the dough).

I went a different route. Just boiled (steam baked) this one. I made a small wort from my porter recipe and used it for the water in the bread.

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

Sourdough culture from last year revitalized and this is first loaf. Used a different process. Should have read directions first, this took 26 hours to make.

View attachment 381090

Can't slash a loaf properly to save my life!

Edit: money shot
View attachment 381111

Looks good to me! French toast, panini's, Reuben's, ... I might just be snacky. :)

Looks good to me! French toast, panini's, Reuben's, ... I might just be snacky. :)

inside looked great. outside can't compare to chefrex's masterpieces though.

made a grilled ham and cheese for lunch while brewing an oatmeal stout today (while i was waiting for the water company to turn the f'in water mains back on so i could chill down). simple deliciousness.

Edit - so good I made another
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1482257436.060500.jpg
Smoked cheddar, havarti, ham and turkey

With yeast from a imperial Stout cake, sure also a little bit of beer too

IMG_20161220_201028.jpg

What are you slashing it with? Cut it like you want to hurt it!

I've tried a few things all with the same failure.... Lame, box cutter, serrated knife, sharp kitchen knife. Today i tried the box cutter first (oiled new blade), but it wasn't even going through the surface, so i switched to the serrated knife, and same (you can see the failure marks towards the right tip on non-blow out side). Finally my sharp kitchen knife did it but i couldn't get more than 1/4" deep without it sticking. I assume i'm just not getting deep enough and probably at the wrong angle too.

All just stick and tear rather than slash.

I use a ceramic knife and cover it in butter for scoring. I'm able to get about an inch deep if I needed.

Homemade hotdog and hamburger buns. First time making these...They're good. Hearty. Two dogs and I was full! I tried cutting the hot dog buns both regular and splitting the top...Have to admit, I liked the top split. It was much more stable on the plate.

Matt what is your recipe ? Those look great. New England style is definitely the way to go with hot dog buns.

I've tried a few things all with the same failure.... Lame, box cutter, serrated knife, sharp kitchen knife. Today i tried the box cutter first (oiled new blade), but it wasn't even going through the surface, so i switched to the serrated knife, and same (you can see the failure marks towards the right tip on non-blow out side). Finally my sharp kitchen knife did it but i couldn't get more than 1/4" deep without it sticking. I assume i'm just not getting deep enough and probably at the wrong angle too.

All just stick and tear rather than slash.

Are you developing a thick skin before slashing? As in it's drying out? Are you keeping it covered? I use a sharp knife, slashing is not an issue.

Are you developing a thick skin before slashing? As in it's drying out? Are you keeping it covered? I use a sharp knife, slashing is not an issue.

I've always covered my dough until right before baking - is that maybe my problem? How long does it need to be uncovered before slashing?

No, I was wondering if you left it uncovered and it as getting leathery and tough to slash, not sure what the issue is.

This particular one was more leathery than usual. I don't normally do this, but I did the final proof in the fridge. The dough was on my dough towel (floured tea towel), inside a bread basket (to maintain batard shape), fully wrapped in plastic. When i went to bake it i turned the basket upside down onto parchment, so the side that was touching the towel became the up side. It definitely was not as sticky as i am used to dealing with.

I just started another batch of dough that'll end up getting baked tonight. I'm going to do a simple boule shape with either an X or square slashing on top.

This is the recipe i've been working from. I am following it as closely as i can. http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-sourdough-bread-224367

Did some french breads for the wife's family tomorrow. Stuck to the authentic style with a very high hydration level. Man those things are a ***** to deal with when folding and shaping. But they sprung right up in the oven.

Photo Dec 23, 4 00 17 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 23, 7 30 15 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 23, 7 55 39 PM.jpg

Another sourdough in the oven...

Slash issues again. I used a brand new oiled razor blade and had many very clean cuts. Best ever I'd say.

This is the loaf after 3 mins at 500 with copious steam. Looks promising.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1482546838.769438.jpg

At 10 minutes it's a different story though. The slashes are now just barely surface features on the loaf.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1482546878.018431.jpg

ChefRex, any thoughts?

Money shot. Best rise I've ever had.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1482547414.854660.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1482547433.842239.jpg

Once baked you can see the pattern but there's no depth. Maybe slash even deeper ?

Frist try at cronuts. Oil was a little bit to hot at first but started to dial it in. I'll know better for the next batch. They were still crazy good though. Did a maple icing with some extra extra dark maple syrup I've had lying around since Maine maple sunday.

Photo Dec 24, 10 08 09 AM.jpg

Slash issues again. I used a brand new oiled razor blade and had many very clean cuts. Best ever I'd say.

View attachment 381613

At 10 minutes it's a different story though. The slashes are now just barely surface features on the loaf.
View attachment 381614

ChefRex, any thoughts?

View attachment 381625
View attachment 381626

Once baked you can see the pattern but there's no depth. Maybe slash even deeper ?

Go deeper!

Maybe there's also some underproofing going on tho?

View attachment 381613

View attachment 381614

ChefRex, any thoughts?

View attachment 381625
View attachment 381626

No shame there! from that first shot I think you could go a bit deeper.

Back