Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to try something a little different for breakfast yesterday morning and decided to try my hand at a cinnamon star loaf. This was actually extremely easy and only took about an hour and a half from pulling the ingredients out of the pantry to eating it for breakfast.

I have the full instructions and ingredients here: https://alegrebread.com/2019/12/16/cinnamon-sugar-star-rolls/

y1KVZX4.jpg

auLwtBj.jpg

vVPKcVD.jpg

4KeTcYJ.jpg

That is so beautiful, I love it! Thanks. So after the cuts the ends are twisted, pinched and pushed in? Would make a fun Christmas treat. Based on my c roll recipe each layer would get 4 tbl butter, and a half cup sugar. So 1 cup sugar and 8 tbl butter. Also for "glaze" I will use buttercream or a full can of frosting. Thanks again.
I wanted to try something a little different for breakfast yesterday morning and decided to try my hand at a cinnamon star loaf. This was actually extremely easy and only took about an hour and a half from pulling the ingredients out of the pantry to eating it for breakfast.

I have the full instructions and ingredients here: https://alegrebread.com/2019/12/16/cinnamon-sugar-star-rolls/

y1KVZX4.jpg

auLwtBj.jpg

vVPKcVD.jpg

4KeTcYJ.jpg

That's awesome! I made one of those last year. I believe the pictures are on the What did I cook thread. Your's turned out better though. I did not pinch the ends together firmly enough. Well done!

Help, heres an interesting question. I went on vacation and came back to my bucket in the fridge and fairly soured dough. Not sure if I cleaned with soap or not. But I noticed some sour notes in my rolls last night.

Is it like brewing and my bucket is now soured and i need a new one? Any thoughts appreciated thanks.
20191215_172525.jpeg
20191215_172544.jpeg

Help, heres an interesting question. I went on vacation and came back to my bucket in the fridge and fairly soured dough. Not sure if I cleaned with soap or not. But I noticed some sour notes in my rolls last night.

Is it like brewing and my bucket is now soured and i need a new one? Any thoughts appreciated thanks.View attachment 657352View attachment 657353

I would take a little of your rouge dough from the bucket and keep it as a sour dough starter. You can keep it in a jar in the fridge and feed occasionally. My sour dough starter is approaching 10 years old, started life as a bit of flour and water left on the kitchen counter for a couple days.

Seems like a good cleaning and maybe a soak in 160F water should save your old bucket.

Is it like brewing and my bucket is now soured and i need a new one? Any thoughts appreciated thanks.
I think it will sour your dough faster than normal until you kill the buggers. You can use OxyClean, StarSan, Iodopher, Bleach/Vinegar or intense sunlight. If you are feeling particularly vengeful, use all 5.

Thanks, so there are buggers in there. Those rolls are sour for sure. My whole family is san franciscan so I have definetly had some quality sour dough. I love stories of aged ones. Just havent had too much desire as I am making for kids lunches and just havent really got into it yet. I think (hope) a good soak in oxyfree and sani spray will kill the buckets bugs. Or maybe not? Just let the sour in the bucket stay?! No, I make sweets out of it too.

Is it like brewing and my bucket is now soured and i need a new one? Any thoughts appreciated thanks.View attachment 657352View attachment 657353

How long did you let the dough for the rolls ferment? If it was only a couple hours I wouldn't think there would be enough time for the bugs to really get to work.

The "bugs" that make a viable sourdough culture don't come from the outside environment, they are present in all flour, having been resident on the grain husks, and they really only like to live in flour paste, not plastic and such. These are the same organisms that make a longer fermented yeast dough more flavorful than a quickly produced one, left to grow on their own without any additional exogenous organisms. If something from the outside environment has gotten into a bucket and is affecting the dough, I don't see that it can be desirable. Clean and sanitize the bucket with bleach and see if that fixes the problem. At least that's what I'd do.

I use the 5 minute artesian recipe. Rised for about 2 hours in the bucket and sits in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. When I got home from vacation dough had been sitting in there for 3 weeks. Maybe a pinch more. Those roles had been sitting in the bucket for 8 days or so. After a week or 2 it takes on a little flavor but not that much. I have had dough in that bucket consistently for probably 2 years now. And make bread and rolls weekly. Thanks for the help.
How long did you let the dough for the rolls ferment? If it was only a couple hours I wouldn't think there would be enough time for the bugs to really get to work.

y1KVZX4.jpg

auLwtBj.jpg

vVPKcVD.jpg

4KeTcYJ.jpg
That is really beautiful, great job. I gotta try this.

The "bugs" that make a viable sourdough culture don't come from the outside environment, they are present in all flour, having been resident on the grain husks, and they really only like to live in flour paste, not plastic and such. These are the same organisms that make a longer fermented yeast dough more flavorful than a quickly produced one, left to grow on their own without any additional exogenous organisms. If something from the outside environment has gotten into a bucket and is affecting the dough, I don't see that it can be desirable. Clean and sanitize the bucket with bleach and see if that fixes the problem. At least that's what I'd do.
Not sure it is quite as simple as you state. I have done biga breads and bread like apple does that lives in the fridge for a while and the texture and taste is different from bread made from my sour dough starter.

Here is a link to a project to collect information of the influences of where a sour dough starter is created. Looks like the project is still active.
http://robdunnlab.com/sourdough2/

I think I heard about the original project from this thread or somewhere on HBT, but I was too late to send my starter in for analysis but I signed up to build a starter.

links to the original project
http://robdunnlab.com/projects/science-of-sourdough/
http://microbialfoods.org/yeast-profiles/

A friend is having a cellar cleanse tonight and sharing a ton of strong BA beers. With short notice I whipped up two overnight loaves to bring to the party. I started them at about 5:30pm last night and had them in the oven by 7:30am this morning.

Full recipe, pics and instructions here: https://alegrebread.com/2019/12/18/overnight-loaves-w-whole-wheat/

4PU5nhe.jpg

6M6LJcv.jpg

dqAPYa5.jpg

e4ucAVw.jpg

Those look fantastic! Is Alegre Bread your site, or just where you found the recipe?

Thanks! It's my blog where i just post random bread I bake haha. It's more a way for me to keep track and reference my recipes but I figure other people can take advantage of it too.

Yeah, checked out your website. You do keep track, really impressive tracking. The meads and brews sound great.
Thanks! It's my blog where i just post random bread I bake haha. It's more a way for me to keep track and reference my recipes but I figure other people can take advantage of it too.

Awesome! Saw you are using your Anova for mashing. What an awesome idea. How to you clean the Anova afterwards?

Looking for book ideas or bread baking kits for my wife’s bday. My wife expressed interest in starting a sourdough yeast culture so I thought I’d look for a class she could take (way too expensive in Denver area..$250). Or get her a book or a bread baking kit with all the tools. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I’m stuck on bday ideas and her bday is dec. 23rd

Looking for book ideas or bread baking kits for my wife’s bday. My wife expressed interest in starting a sourdough yeast culture so I thought I’d look for a class she could take (way too expensive in Denver area..$250). Or get her a book or a bread baking kit with all the tools. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I think my wife gave me these two books on basic bread making. The first is more simplified with lots of glossy pictures, the second one has more technical stuff closer to a text book.
https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Reinha...id=1576863661&sprefix=artisan,aps,215&sr=8-17

https://www.amazon.com/Bread-Baking...s=artisan+bread+dimuzio&qid=1576863866&sr=8-3

Here is a website for getting information on how to get a sourdough starter going and maintained.
https://www.sourdoughhome.com/sourdough-starter-primer/

Really don't need a lot of tools, a big bowl and hearty spoon to get thing mixed up. A decent scale for measuring ingredients. A silicone bowl scraper is nice to have, two if you have a very wet dough and dont want to get your hands messy. A mason jar is all that is needed to keep a sour dough starter. A bag of King Arthur AP flour.

This is a fun book and educational too.
https://www.amazon.com/52-Loaves-Wi...s&qid=1576877826&sprefix=52+lo,aps,165&sr=8-1

All the Best,
D. White

IMHO the best and most comprehensive bread book available in English is: Jeffrey Hamelman, Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes, 2nd edition, Wiley 2013. It is *the* book to have if you have only one, and should be on your shelf no matter how many others you have.

I find myslef constantly searching back through hbt threads for my recipes etc...keeping results in one place is a great idea as a reference.

Making some potato bread using the below linked recipe, which I have made a few times but lost my notes for. Given potatoes vary so much in size just saying "1 potato, peeled and diced" isn't a great unit of measure. So I think I'm going to try this out a few times and figure out how much potato works.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7027/potato-bread-iii/

IMG_20191224_110140.jpg

I plan on updating you with an image of the final product.

I whipped up some rolls Christmas eve right after everyone left our party and took no time at all. Turned out great. Normal bread recipe minus a little salt. I like the hearty bread rolls, they stand up to the butter and sugar well. Spread with gloves and canola oil quickly. Stick of butter, 1 cup sugar and 2 tbl saigon cinnamon. Flipped them when they came out and were so gooey and good didnt even frost. Also made 8 2 pound loaves as gifts. Went a little darker, inspired here.
Screenshot_20191225-101103_Gallery.jpeg
20191225_084528.jpeg
20191224_104954.jpeg
20191224_120625.jpeg

IMG_8273.JPG

Made some dough Christmas Day. Brought it down to my in-laws house and make five focaccia breads today. I think 2/3 of it was eaten within minutes of coming out of the oven. This the reason I only got a picture of two of them.
It was implied I should make more dough tonight and make more this weekend. I’ve created monsters. Haha

Making some potato bread using the below linked recipe, which I have made a few times but lost my notes for. Given potatoes vary so much in size just saying "1 potato, peeled and diced" isn't a great unit of measure. So I think I'm going to try this out a few times and figure out how much potato works.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7027/potato-bread-iii/

View attachment 658520

I plan on updating you with an image of the final product.

Pet peeve of mine. I have a bunch or recipes like that and it's frustrating. I try to convert them all to weights when possible after cooking them a few times.

Back